Anyone recognise this planer ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quickben

Established Member
Reaction score
Despite having just bought a Dewalt 1150 from another forum member (pipper to set up after changing blades, but running good now) we've recently been given this vintage planer\jointer by a friend's father who has owned it for around 40 yrs.

The motor is banjaxed, unfortunately, so I'll be replacing that with a modern one along with the belt but the rest of the machine is seemingly hewn from granite and just needs a ruddy good clean.

However, I cant see any manufacturer plate or markings anywhere. Anybody know what it might be ?

Attachments

• IMG_0454.JPG
    IMG_0454.JPG
    782.4 KB · Views: 222
Looks very similar to the machines Dodd woodworking machinery were making back in the day, very simple and robust machines.

I don't know who made the planer, but the motor is a Brooks, and the switch is mounted in half of an MEM "Auto-Memota" cast iron case. :wink:

Cheers, Vann.

Good to know ! It has an ingenious way of ramping up to speed in two stages. It starts spinning relatively slowly until a centrifugal switch allows a contactor to move and is then supposed to speed up again. Unfortunately it hasn't quite got the muscle to get up to the speed required to make that happen. I've tried cleaning it as much as I can, oiled everything that can be oiled, but it doesn't quite get up to speed. It did once but that was only because I removed the belt and pulley. The bearings on the cutter drum seem sound and smooth, so it's just the very slight extra inertia that slows it down. I might try a new belt, but I think it's time for the motor to retire.

Sounds like the capacitor is knackered, have a look in side the round can.

Pete

As Pete said, probably a capacitor problem, probably caused by running off a cooker switch with no overload protection :lol:

Change out the capacitor and put some proper switchgear on it and it should run like new.

The cylinder on the motor at 11 0'clock position ? I'll have a look when I get home (at work offshore presently)

I think the switch is actually a surface mounted light switch !

Interesting... does this mean that there is a run capacitor as well as a start capacitor on this motor,
and its the run capacitor which is the faulty one?

You should see a uF like symbol, and a number which is the microfarad rating.
If its a similar setup to a modern motor, you buy any rated correctly capacitor online very cheaply for a few pounds..... providing it fits in the terminal box if there is any.
Made that mistake before :oops:
Maybe older ones are different though?
Thanks

Here's the gubbins underneath the cap on the side of the motor

Attachments

• IMG_0461.JPG
    IMG_0461.JPG
    534.5 KB · Views: 158
Looking again at your first picture, I see what looks to be only a single capacitor,
Is this the case?
Have you looked for any signs of swelling of it?
Even if you don't notice anything, it would be worth changing it out for the sake of less than a fiver.

Tom

Back