Anyone put OSB through a thicknesser ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it were me I would just give it a go on a narrow section. I would think it would be more than ok and the worst that can happen is you blunt your tired knives.

if the glue gunks your blades up you could try cleaning them with ipa / brake cleaner

Would be interested to see the results :)

Thinking about how much a set of knives cost and the potential for allsorts to happen I think I would just buy a sheet of MDF or OSB rather than take a chance. I can see the OSB catching and tearing bits out.

Thinking about how much a set of knives cost and the potential for allsorts to happen I think I would just buy a sheet of MDF or OSB rather than take a chance. I can see the OSB catching and tearing bits out.

Have you read the post - particularly the part(s) that say there are no other bits of wood - it's this or nothing?

I say go for it @TRITON - small cut - stand well back - and let us know what happens please.

Just a humble opinion here but.....

It's what you've got, you've got a new set of thicknesser blades coming anyway, give it whirl if it gunks up the blades you can replace with the new you've already ordered so no loss there, if the OSB doesn't go through well - try the belt sander next...

If one of the two works happy days, if both fail you are no worse off, bite the bullet and buy some 12mm.

Padster

Just a humble opinion here but.....

It's what you've got, you've got a new set of thicknesser blades coming anyway, give it whirl if it gunks up the blades you can replace with the new you've already ordered so no loss there, if the OSB doesn't go through well - try the belt sander next...

If one of the two works happy days, if both fail you are no worse off, bite the bullet and buy some 12mm.

Padster

This is sensible.

I've thicknessed OSB to fit in a void in a fibreglass electricity box I had to repair. Just take it slow, make more, thinner passes rather than trying to rush and I'm sure you'll be fine.

FWIW I don't remember it being particularly damaging to my planer blades and it didn't gum up the machine but it was a while ago.

Indeed there is.
But im a cyclist who cannot drive, and theres no available lifts for at least a month.
If i could I would, but balancing an 8'x4' board on a pushbike is a bit tricky :LOL:

Rig a mast and a few ropes on your bicycle and you could sail it home 😁
Seriously, it looks like with one exception, noone has tried this and we’d all love to know the answer……….

If i could I would, but balancing an 8'x4' board on a pushbike is a bit tricky
Yes UK cyclist, needs to learn how they do it in the east. Easy to get an 8 by 4 on top !!

1624635628880.png

The things I saw on scooters in Asia. It was entertainment to sit at a street cafe and just watch the traffic go by. Saw the back passenger on a scooter holding a glass sheet the size of a door.
Not helping your problem I know. Anyhow If you do stick it in the thickie set it for a very shallow cut.
Regards
John

Back