Anyone put OSB through a thicknesser ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRITON

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I've some 18mm i need to reduce, or would like to reduce it to about 12mm.
Orientation of 'bits' might i though be a bit tricky and not offer a clean planing cut.

Thought I'd ask before running it through. I reckon it would be fine, but always best checking.

I’ve put chipboard through the thicknesser before & that worked remarkably well, worth trying a small piece to see how it goes just stand to the side of the machine & don’t try to take a 5mm cut :unsure:

I've some 18mm i need to reduce, or would like to reduce it to about 12mm.
Orientation of 'bits' might i though be a bit tricky and not offer a clean planing cut.

Thought I'd ask before running it through. I reckon it would be fine, but always best checking.

Why not just buy some 12mm or is thay too easy? 🤔🤣

Matt Eastly (sp?) recently made a box with an OSB insert that he planed flush. I was amazed how well it planed, but that was a piece 5cmx30cm ish, slow with a sharp number 4.

Why not just buy some 12mm or is thay too easy? 🤔🤣
No transport, and ive spent too much on the cats bothy* as it is. So back at ya ;)
This piece i need to clad one wall, and for the roof.
It's a bit my sister had and spent time in the garden, so a bit green, a bit old and thinking running it through the thicknesser will clean it up better. Plus its not the correct width, so i need to joint and layer it glued up, and this is the best way of doing it with the amount of material I have.

*A wee project as the cats got nowhere to sleep when he's out in the winter nights. The greenhouse has zero insulation, and the door needs to be ajar anyway. So im making him a night shelter. He's a bit of a problem as a large dog got at him when he was younger and destroyed the nerves in his back from about the kidney area down to the lower back, as a result no fur grows there (lost his tail too) so its a bare section. He's had a hard time of it. Deserves something custom built and suitable
4 stud partition walls, clad on the inside in 6mm ply, 30mm of insulation in the walls(studs are 10mmx30mm) then overclad on the outside in 11mm osb, then clad over the top of that in 6mm quarter sawn oak in a clinker overlap. Inside will be lined in thin foam, and a thicker foam flooring(workshop matting),over an osb/polystyrene sandwich. Sloping roof, topped with proper shed felt, so he can sunbath on it in summer.
Putting in 3 windows in 5mm perspex, set at varying sizes and heights, so he only needs to open an eye to see out and around himself(for spotting mice) Proper cat flap on the front as way of an entry.
Sized at 24"Dx18"Wx18"H

Probably out about 60 or 70 quid thus far, another sheet of osb is another 20 quid, and thats not taking the cost of the oak into account.

This is 8'x16" Im not hand planing that when theres a thicknesser there :LOL:

Last edited:
I think its going to be a false economy. The integrity of the OSB is probably not uniform throughout. Just as you can't thickness MDF . It might fall apart not to mention wear and tear on the machine. Would 12 mm chipboard be an option - its as cheap as you will get. ?

Last edited:
Cant help but agree with the above. I have never tried it so cant say what it will do to the machine but has the potential of being way more expensive than getting some 12mm chipboard, ply or mdf.
Regards
John

I think its going to be a false economy. The integrity of the OSB is probably not uniform throughout. Just as you can't thickness MDF . It might fall apart not to mention wear and tear on the machine. Would 12 mm chipboard be an option - its a cheap as you will get. ?
MDF thicknesses fine. Done it hundreds of times.
Company I worked for made radiator cabinets, and the grill was made up of 18mm double sided veneered mfd,split on the table saw, with the cut face thicknessed to remove any marks and give it uniform thickness. We only needed one veneered surface and it worked out A, Cheaper, and B, We did a lot of work using veneered boards, so it was a way of utilizing scrap and cut offs.

@ Pete
Possibly, but i want to remove all the outdoor growth, as the board is pretty gunky. Its been in a cellar, maybe a bit of dampness, and thicknessing a mm or two off each side is probably going to clear that dampness out of it.
Cheers

Of course I could also use a belt sander, and maybe I should given the amount of bloody controversy this appears to be causing folk. Christ, a simple question drawn and dragged out.

I use what I have. Theres no fresh osb, nor ply,nor anything. I've this one board.

In that case go for it. I'm pretty sure the glue will mess up your blades but will be happy to stand corrected if wrong. If the planer doesn't work mask up and have at it with the belt sander. We'll call you Dusty.

Pete

In that case go for it. I'm pretty sure the glue will mess up your blades but will be happy to stand corrected if wrong. If the planer doesn't work mask up and have at it with the belt sander. We'll call you Dusty.

Pete
Im not getting on to you personally Pete :cool: just seemed there a tad too much consternation about asking such a thing.

The vibes im getting here

'Dont do it'
'You'll die'
'Satan will appear'
'The earth will break'
'Your thicknesser will die'
'You'll be suffocated by clouds of dust'

Last edited:
Don't worry I'm not POd or feeling picked on. It is just one of those far off the wall questions that nobody would have tried it so you might as well just jump in and when you know post that "Don't do what I was dumb enough to try...." or "Hey you'd never believe it but you can successfully....". That way you can skip all the end of the world and you won't be able to bear children posts. You can be a pie-on-ear guy and we can learn. 😉

Pete

Im not getting on to you personally Pete :cool: just seemed there a tad too much consternation about asking such a thing.

The vibes im getting here

'Dont do it'
'You'll die'
'Satan will appear'
'The earth will break'
'Your thicknesser will die'
'You'll be suffocated by clouds of dust'

It sounds awfully dodgy, you will have to isolate for 14 days, do a lateral flow test and wear a mask 😷

You can thickness OSB, go for it.

Just bear in mind OSB has a fair bit of glue / resin and your thicknesser blades might be a bit forked after - may need a resharpen.

Currently the blades are pretty duff, in face ragged would be a better description and i am buying new ones shortly. I've been sharpening them in situ using a diamond stone run back and forth on them, just to provide an edge, but if its as bad as people reckon, this shouldnt matter.

Back