Anyone own these "Bessey" clamps?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mead Camans

George
Reaction score
Hello all,

Has anyone got any of these clamps?

They look alright and would be a bargain if they stand up to the original Bessey clamps.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers,

George

Not got any of the ones in the link but I have Bessey clamps and clamps based on the same design. The Bessey clamps are superb, a little awkward sometimes but superb. The other clamps I have that are on a par are Dewalt types;

https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dwht83831-1-parallel-bar-clamp-24/650hj
The thing to look for is the steel on the sliding bar itself and the construction of the jaws. The reason I grabbed some of the Dewalt ones is that the jaw heads are substantial, I'd say more substantial than the Bessey's personally. Lot's of clamps of this type kicking around, Rutlands have had their variants of Dakota and Rutland branded for a while, Axminster also have their own branded versions. I'd be inclined to steer clear fo the Ebay ones unless someone can (as you rightly ask) validate their quality and over a period of time at least.

Not got any of the ones in the link but I have Bessey clamps and clamps based on the same design. The Bessey clamps are superb, a little awkward sometimes but superb. The other clamps I have that are on a par are Dewalt types;

https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dwht83831-1-parallel-bar-clamp-24/650hj
The thing to look for is the steel on the sliding bar itself and the construction of the jaws. The reason I grabbed some of the Dewalt ones is that the jaw heads are substantial, I'd say more substantial than the Bessey's personally. Lot's of clamps of this type kicking around, Rutlands have had their variants of Dakota and Rutland branded for a while, Axminster also have their own branded versions. I'd be inclined to steer clear fo the Ebay ones unless someone can (as you rightly ask) validate their quality and over a period of time at least.
Interesting. Thanks for the info. I know the Axminster versions have handles that hinge 90° for extra leverage. Sounds like a good idea, but I've heard it said that this means they can get abused a lot more and can break or bend. Not seen the DeWalts before. I'll check them out.

Be aware that the Rutlands clamps have an equal mix of fans and unhappy users. Personally at the price point of the clamps, unless you pay more or luck out on a well manufactured less well known brand then they are all pretty similar. The other problem is inconsistency in manufacture, often the lower cost end of the spectrum moves manufacture and / or rebrands different units so one clamp doesn't necessarily indicate how all others in that model range will be. Well-known brands and higher price points tend to avoid that a bit more.

Back