Anyone ordering from screwfix?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodPecker

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I need a box of screws which I can't get my hands on in Rep of Ireland, as it turns screwfix have some:
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro ... 0&ts=30859
But they don't deliver to Rep of Ireland.
If there is someone willing to add a box of 100 to their order and post them to me I would cover all expenses (can pay via paypal), I know it's asking people to go to some trouble but I'm stuck.

Thanks in advance.

Dam, just missed it. I just ordered yesterday - anyway, we may have a box of them here but i won't find out till the morning

Let me know

Andy

WP

If you let me know what you are after I can put an order into Screwfix, always need an excuse to order something.

Just let me know item number and quantity.

Waka,

Thanks for the offer, but don't go to any trouble. The screws are Concealed hinge Screw 6 x 16mm
Screwfix P/N 22390

A box of 100 will do the trick, my kitchen carcases are pre drilled and I have the brackets and hinges but no screws. The kitchen supplier doesn't have any screws and my only option is to get some non snap on hinges from them instead. It would be a lot easier to use the existing holes which means I need the screws.

LyNx,

Again thanks, I was going to post this yesterday but I had one more local hardware to check, see above for screw description.

Thanks

Ive got loads of them in the van , quicker to fit the hinges with screws so i have them left over . Not sure i've got 100 but ill check . How many do you need ?

I had a look in the van but no lights in the back and the lighter burnt my finger :cry: I know they are in there somewhere so ill get them in the morning and check they are the ones you need . Im sure they dont make more than one size for kitchen hinges so they should fit :D

Adrian

Should you not be able to get any from JFC, I have just placed an order with Screwfix and added some hinge screws. Don't be abliged to have them becasue I have a number of kitchen cabinet doors to make and fit next time home. If you do need them PM your details and I'll get HID's to send you a box.

Now I have a question about fitting these doors, I drill the 35mm hole for the hinge 5mm from the edge of the frame and pre-drill the carcus for the bracket. The problem I have is that the cabinets are already fixed to the wall and I'm not to sure of the distances required becasue the door will have to be attached while the door is in the open position to allow me to drill and screw. I guess the distance I'm after is between the edge of the door and the egde of the carcus.
Does this make sence?

Waka, when you do sus the hinge problem, make a jig to complete the balance of the workload. Think I saw something from shopsmith tips not long ago.

devonwoody":kswiywnw said:
Waka, when you do sus the hinge problem, make a jig to complete the balance of the workload. Think I saw something from shopsmith tips not long ago.

DW

I've got a jig to balance the door to the cabinet, but I'm unsure of the distance between the two edges.

Waka

The best thing to do is a test fit on two scraps the same thickness as teh board/ door material. It is not necessarily true that the inset for the 35 mm hole is 5mm (although its there abouts) and it does depend on the make of hinge as to the back set of the hinge plate.

Are these doors overlay or inset? I'm assuming overlay (otherwise you'll have to have ordered 15mm cranked hinges) in which case it is usual for the screws holding the plate to be 37mm back from the front edge of the carcase and the holes to be 32mm apart vertically.

Hopefully that makes sense. But I'd still do a test fit...

Cheers

Tim

Waka,

Thanks for that, there are a number of different hinges and brackets, some are suitable for these particular screws which you have to pre drill the carcas for these, and some have a smaller hole for screws. The snap on ones are excellent (basically you mount the bracket and the hinge and the door just clips on to the brackets).
The holes for the bracket should be 37mm from the front edge of the carcas and 32mm apart, these dimensions appear to be standard for a variety of these hinges.
Double check with a waste piece of sheeting first to be sure, there is a good bit of adjustment in all directions with those hinges.

Ive got 86 of them :D pm me your details and ill get them in the post to you .

Tim/Adrian

Thanks for the info, the other thing I'm going to come up agaisnt is that the carcus is 15mm and the door is 18mm thick, I'm assuming that this will affect the distance of the 35mm hole in the door.

I had planned to do a test piece becasue of these measurements, just trying to get the inside track from the experts.

The hinges I am using are for overlay doors, bog standard from screwfix at 2.99 a pair.

Adrian, PM posting details and I'll get the screws to you.

Have you already got the hinges? IMO they are pretty poor quality. I suggest that you order from Isaac Lord or Woodfit and get Blum ones if poss. They will be more expensive but given we are talking about a £1 more its worth it.

If you talk to the guys at either place they will tell you what thickness of mounting plate you need so that the hinge hole doesn't have to be to close to the edge.

Cheers

Tim

Waka wrote:
Thanks for the info, the other thing I'm going to come up agaisnt is that the carcus is 15mm and the door is 18mm thick, I'm assuming that this will affect the distance of the 35mm hole in the door.

I had planned to do a test piece because of these measurements, just trying to get the inside track from the experts.

I bought most of the carcuses (cream ones), basically I couldn't have made them for less than they cost, the bought ones are made from 18mm material. I made up some as well e.g. larder unit which cost €250 to buy and extra ones I hadn't ordered, these are made from 15mm material. All the doors are 18mm. The distance of the 35mm hole from the edge of the door is known as the tab, I worked out that for 15mm material it would need to be 3mm and for 18mm it would need to be 5mm, I drilled them all 4mm from the edge and there should be enough adjustment in the hinge to compensate, I hope :? . The tab size is more critical on a carcas which has 2 doors meeting in the middle where you have to allow for a gap.

I'm no expert at this, I'm learning as I go along. Tim knows his cheese so listen to him, he's probably typing at the same time as me again. :roll:

Tim/Adrian

Once again thanks for the info.

Tim, I've already ordered the hinges, I have used these from screwfix before and fond them good sturdy hinges. they are on the kitchen I made at home and also on ther cupboards in the workshop.

Adrian, thanks for the measurements, I'll try these on my mock-up door, don't want to waste any good oak.

Toolstation.com usually beat Screwfix on price. Don't know about overseas delivery tho'.

Back