Anyone made an adjustable height desk?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

W666

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone here made one of these adjustable height desks you can stand and sit at?

They're very expensive to buy, quick look appears circa £500, surely not as much to build from scratch.

You’d be surprised at the cost of the actuators... I looked into it before and came to the conclusion that an Ikea desk would be the best starting point and putting your own top on if you wanted something fancy.

I love YouTube: here's the cheapskate version.
[youtube]pt7pdeKidgg[/youtube]

And here's the fun, over-engineered version:
[youtube]X4-yOB3qFKI[/youtube]

I have some idea of rotating vertical circular sides to the desk, so you would pull the desk top towards you and it would rise up in a semi-circle to the top of the circle- lots of bearings and interesting cantilevered struts to keep things level. Might two different height work surfaces be easier? Cheaper to buy two computer displays and keyboards, and just move between the two.

I do my office work at the kitchen table, so I'm probably not helping.

I took a simplistic approach when I made a small adjustable height "desk". It looks more like a lectern than a desk. It has 2 telescopic legs and the height of each one can be manually adjusted and held in place using a simple peg. There is a horizontal rail attached to each leg and the top just sits on top of those rails, not fixed in place but it doesn't move. By adjusting the 2 legs to different heights the table top can be held at an angle.
My wife uses this as a standing desk. The top is big enough to use her laptop on, but not much bigger.

I made mine (a his & hers double desk) using a bought frame. Having handled it, there is no way I would consider building one from scratch. The actuators are incredibly heavy, and I couldn't find any to buy separately that weren't a stupid price (even more so than the frame). That's where the money goes - the rest of the frame is just simple box section.

I know there are 101 alternative solutions (ie cheap bodges) to a proper sit-stand desk, but personally I wouldn't give any of them houseroom. Depends on your priorities!

Attachments

• 20191113_054208 (Copy).jpg
    20191113_054208 (Copy).jpg
    663.1 KB · Views: 102
W666":1rkbo6z5 said:
Anyone here made one of theseadjustable height desks you can stand and sit at?
They're very expensive to buy, quick look appears circa £500, surely not as much to build from scratch.
I have one at work (cost around 3.5K) and have been thinking about having the same at home as I find it really does aid concentration and focus to stand up.
I've got this one bookmarked on Amazon, could come in under £300 depending on choice of top, I'm thinking about an oak veneered ply with an oak lipping.

I did an adjustable height work-desk for a friend with back issues when I worked in Zurich (a decade ago now :shock: ) and used the gubbins from a treadmill that was waiting to be dumped for adjusting the height and just replaced the threaded rod with a longer piece

pcb1962":1maojd40 said:
W666":1maojd40 said:
Anyone here made one of theseadjustable height desks you can stand and sit at?
I have one at work (cost around 3.5K) and have been thinking about having the same at home as I find it really does aid concentration and focus to stand up.
I've got this one bookmarked on Amazon, could come in under £300 depending on choice of top, I'm thinking about an oak veneered ply with an oak lipping.
Looks like it was £170 briefly, 12 months ago, signed up for a camelcamelcamel alert and will go for it if comes down again. Cheers.

Back