Anyone made a wooden head?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_Pallet

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
My missis makes crochet hats for kids, so I'm looking to make her a hooden head to put them on.
Obviously she has the polystyrene and plastic ones, but gives me a project to make one.

I'm thinking either
- one big block and carve
Or
- layers cut on the bandsaw then stack together

I haven't a clue, so if anyone has any ideas, suggestions or links would be much appreciated lol

Layers stacked together for me, I'd use James' suggestion, cutting the slices vertically front to back then rasp and sand to shape as I'm useless at carving.

I once made a hat block for a milliner who specified that the wood could be anything so long as it was soft enough to stick pins in it. After a bit of research online I found that poplar is the usual choice (IIRC).

At Axminster last week one of their staff was making wooden heads to display their safety masks on. It was made of flat profiles from plywood about 5mm thick. Hard to describe but when we next visit I’ll try and take a photo. He was using one of their craft scroll saws.

If you don't want to cut one up.
You could decide what thickness you want each layer to be.
Then at each layer height, use ticking sticks, measure the same way you would fit carpet to the base of a toilet.

IIRC Mike Painter used to have a dvd or book called carving the human head.
It was on the back of the old Axi mag.
You might find some more info if looking up his name.

Thanks again for your advice, I finally got round to making the head.

I used the layers technique
It took a lot longer than I anticipated lol

Lots of sanding!

Anyway here it is being modelled in action for my missis side hustle selling crochet hats (DM for further information)

Thank you once again for your support

Attachments

• IMG-20220615-WA0021.jpg
    IMG-20220615-WA0021.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20220615-WA0022.jpg
    IMG-20220615-WA0022.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back