Anyone know where you can buy tail stock wheels?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigsmell

Reaction score
Hello

I'm new to turning, and have access to a Perform lathe, but I've managed to break the plastic tail stock wheel trying to release a stuck morse taper. Anyone know where I might be able to source a replacement, or ideally an upgrade? The wheel is 120mm diameter on a 15mm shank.

Thanks

Max

Welcome Max,

You could epoxy some 15mm I/d pipe into a suitable bit of wood and turn a wheel.
Leave enough pipe protruding from the wood to fit into your chuck, turn the wheel and then remove the excess pipe.

I've purchased spoked hand wheels on ebay in the past. you might not get the exact diameter and bore combination but smaller bores can be opened up on a lathe to fit.

I'm guessing that the tailstock wheel has a threaded core so I've some ideas that might help.
1. Contact Axminster tools they used to sell Perform lathes
2. Cut the broken part off the wheel retaining the threaded core intact
2. Make another wooden wheel by hand if your turning isn't up to it, cut a hole in the middle of sufficient diameter to insert the "core/threaded" part from the broken wheel and epoxy glue it into position.
Good luck

Just thought
Axminster used to have a repairs department - if they don't have a new one ask to speak to the repairers as they might have an old one under the bench they might sell as 2nd hand without warranty etc

As others suggest, I would make one on the lathe, you could even glue up some ply offcuts to get the right thickness if you have nothing better to hand. If you don't fancy that and want a quick fix,, Screwfix sell single rubber tyred wheels, all of £3 for a 150
mm and £2 for 100 mm diametet. Bore is 13 mm so drill and/or tap to what you need. I expect all the big sheds do them.

Latest posts

Back