Anyone know the road from Barmouth through Snowdonia?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
The last time I went to Barmouth, I came back to Birmingham via the A 470. We pulled up at a viewing point, from where we could see the top of Snowdon (Just) and looking down the road we could see right along the valley and the road winding its way downwards.

I found this spot on Google Earth a few months ago, but when I lost my 'C' drive, I also lost the marker I put on the map.
With this new Google Earth, the street view isn't as good as it was, and I can't find this viewpoint again.
Does anyone know he spot I mean please? I want to go there again and hope for some better photies than these!
Please don't judge the pics. They went through Photoshop only to reduce them. No tweaking of colours etc...

The viewpoint is a purpose made pulling off point, with parking facilities, etc.

Attachments

• Road Through the Valley.jpg
    Road Through the Valley.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 581
  • The Route Home.jpg
    The Route Home.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 580
  • Moody Tops.jpg
    Moody Tops.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 580
Thanks Roger...
Yes I have tried street view, but I can't find the turn off! I either have the wrong road, or they have moved the viewpoint!

Probably I have the wrong road. I just hoped someone would know it, and put me aright!

Cheers.

OLD":2j7957zf said:
The A498 out of Beddgelert to Capel Curig
So it is. Long way from the A470!
So that'd be Lliwedd rising up, with Snowdon off to the right but lost in the cloud, a stunning view on a clear day.
Our favourite campsite at the far end of the lake at Hafod y Llan but unfortunately got very busy since the Nat Trust took it over.

You know, I wish I had the courage of my convictions. I thought I recognised the road and as I used to go climbing an awful lot in the Pass but I was looking down the A470 for those pictures.

RogerS":15rk4lxg said:
You know, I wish I had the courage of my convictions. I thought I recognised the road and as I used to go climbing an awful lot in the Pass but I was looking down the A470 for those pictures.
A470? I thought it'd be Bala or Tal y Llyn until OLD put his finger on it!

My Thanks to you all Gents.

Now I need to find a decent hotel in the vicinity, 'cos for sure I won't be camping!

I am sorry I misled you with that mistake on the road number, although I did know it was an 'A' road! :mrgreen: :D

(This is more how I remember the colours. Not much light and not a good day for camera work! )

Thanks again.

Attachments

• Moody Tops2.jpg
    Moody Tops2.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 475
Someone want to give me a reference of above to pump into Google earth please.

BTW I have trouble with GE, how do you get on trying to turn the view around 180 degrees.

devonwoody":15ncj2tj said:
Capel Curig and then follow the road west a mile or two.

devonwoody":u1wtyutt said:

BTW I have trouble with GE, how do you get on trying to turn the view around 180 degrees.

OK, I found how to do it. turn the N sign round. :oops:

Woody Thanks for the links. I used that site a lot for 'inspiration' in painting landscapes. But I lost the URL. So it's fortuitous you posted it! Great picture of a 'Brocken Spectre' too. I saw that just once in Scotland, on exercises in the 50s. An eerie phenomenon.

As to the rotating view; which view do you want to rotate Woody? Street view or the general Google view?

Google Earth View: Left-click and hold, on the arrow in the 'compass' and move the arrow around.
Street View: Left-click and hold, and move the picture around 'you'.. as it were.

As Jacob says, it's easy enough to find that viewpoint spot on Google Earth, as long as you have the right road; which I didn't!!!

Roger... That Hotel is superb to look at, and could you really ask for a better location? Is it haunted btw? :mrgreen:

There's a nice place near Dolgellau, called Tyn-y-Groes. http://www.tynygroes.com/

Nothing fancy, but it's clean, comfy, nice food and the beer is good.

Cheers :D

This is the route I prefer to Snowdia.

Stitched photographs roughly joined up, so please excuse quality.

Attachments

• tall yn 2 stitchedw.jpg
    tall yn 2 stitchedw.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 288

Latest posts

Back