Anyone know the real world difference between classes of MOT

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shed9

establiSHED member
Reaction score
Looking to get a new service vehicle (well new to me). The issue that may or may not be an issue is I have two options of;

1. Sub 3,000kg design gross weight (MOT 4)
2. 3,000 to 3,500kg design gross weight (MOT 7)

Lots of info on the T'interweb but little about the full implications in terms of insurance, MOT's and implications of that class of vehicle.

Anyone with knowledge who can add some common sense to the query?

The classifications are there to differentiate between what is included by the tester when checking. Some checks are carried out on certain vehicles and not others both within the same class and between classes of vehicle. For instance an MOT 4 has less checks and is applied to cars and certain other vehicles over a certain age and has less checks than a MOT4a which is for younger vehicles and includes additional safety checks such as seatbelts. So a n original MG TF goes through a slightly different MOT test to a Ford Focus. On the MOT 4 side of things If you get a "van" which has no rear windows it has a different test and falls within a different tax catagory that a "van - minibus" that has side and rear window and has a a different test and is therefore classed as a different usage vehicle for insurance.

An MOT 7 is purely for non passenger carrying vehicles (driver and co driver onoly) that have a cargo carrying capacity.

hth

Thank you Droogs, it seem to be just a reference to MOT checks but din't understand if that translated into further responsibilities on maintenance.

Thanks again, appreciated.

NP. It does impact in that you have to be more vigilant shall we say about what needs to be perfect and what needs to be good enough when working on you vehicle and to be aware that what would pass on a van may not pass on a car even though they both have a MOT4 classification test. for instance my Sedona comes both as a van and an MPV, the would go through different tests even though one just has windows and some seats thrown in. The van might get an advisory on something but the MPV would gt a fail on the same thing

sounds like a hornets nest.......just wish my 5 seater van VW T4 from the factory, with side and back windows had easy to remove seats....hahaha....
also I found u need to keep an eye on speed rating for tyres and weight.....
another bxxxdy hornets nest....

As an owner of a class 7 vehicle the only issue I have is that you can't go to any old MOT place, you need to check.
Once I booked an Mot turned up and they said they couldn't do it, I was pretty annoyed as they had my reg number when I booked it in!
Also some places can't to wheel alignment because it won't go on their ramps.
I have a local place who sort it out.
No other differences really.

Ollie

Last edited:
As an owner of a class 7 vehicle the only issue I have is that you can't go to any old MOT place, you need to check.
Once I booked an Mot turned up and they said they couldn't do it, I was pretty annoyed as they had my reg number when I booked it in!
Also some places can't to wheel alignment because it won't go on their ramps.
I have a local place who sorting out.
No other differences really.

Ollie
That's worth knowing.

I know that many garages won't touch a lwb 3.5t van...

Cheers James

Latest posts

Back