Anyone know anything about this postwar bandsaw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burnished

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have bought this bandsaw for £100 or at least I have agreed to collect next week. Made by Metalclad and likely 1950s? It seemed like a great deal and apparently it works! I believe it has a 35" jaw depth! Does anyone know anything about these Metalclad monsters?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211118-152117.png
    Screenshot_20211118-152117.png
    426.2 KB · Views: 93
  • Screenshot_20211118-152120.png
    Screenshot_20211118-152120.png
    428.6 KB · Views: 97
Hello all,

I have bought this bandsaw for £100 or at least I have agreed to collect next week. Made by Metalclad and likely 1950s? It seemed like a great deal and apparently it works! I believe it has a 35" jaw depth! Does anyone know anything about these Metalclad monsters?

Looks good value.
This thread might be of interest to you:

https://forum.canadianwoodworking.c...er-tools/41148-metalclad-woodworking-machines
English/Welsh/George Cohen/600 Commercial Road

Sorry know nothing about that one except that you need a cover over that " I wonder what what would happen if :eek:" big hole in the front :)

I should add that it looks to be a super solid chunk of steel, bit of fettling and the right blade and you can take on the world:)

That is a real animal of a bandsaw. The important thing in accurate bandsawing is a stiff frame - and that looks like a seriously stiff frame. Apparently Metalclad's key skill was steel casting, so the frame is probably solid steel. Hope your workshop floor will handle the weight, and you have machinery and a vehicle large enough to load and unload it!

It was difficult enough to load and unload my Cropico industrial grade bandsaw, and that is a toy in comparison to that Metalclad.

Thanks for all the replies. Yeah she sure does look like a monster. As for collection, I've hired the help of some piano movers so should be okay hopefully and my workshop floor can definitely take it. It will be the first 3 phase machine I have bought so will need to look into the world of inverters etc.
It's coming tomorrow so ill post further pics...

Back