Anyone in Hampshire with 3ph power available this weekend?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingAether

Eternal noob
Reaction score
This is a big ask, i know, but Is there anyone in Hampshire (or the very east of dorset) that has 3-phase in there garage, warehouse, etc that would be free and willing Saturday afternoon to let me pass-by and test a machine/motor?
Im picking up a new saw, assuredly it works but i'd like to know 100% before i buy a vfd instead of a 1ph motor; a socket near a door that could be backed up to by a transit would be ideal to save taking it apart in transit or having to unload a 1/2 ton but beggars can't be choosers.
Thank you in advance to anyone that can help!

What do ye guys think about doing an insulation resistance test with a cheap multimeter like what this guys doing ? (albeit he's using a trusted Fluke brand)
I just bought one from Aldi, although I don't believe the special buys are on the same time.
Here is a video using a multimeter to test, which is not in Hindi.

From what little I believe, as long as the cable is not damaged, a VFD will be able to fault find any problems with the motor.
Curious to know
Thanks

Cheap multimeters are very useful. But it depends how accurate you want your answers to be. If youre measuring to a required number, cheap testers are likely to be a few or even several decimal places out from a more expensive calibrated unit.

What do ye guys think about doing an insulation resistance test with a cheap multimeter like what this guys doing ? (albeit he's using a trusted Fluke brand)
I just bought one from Aldi, although I don't believe the special buys are on the same time.
Here is a video using a multimeter to test, which is not in Hindi.

From what little I believe, as long as the cable is not damaged, a VFD will be able to fault find any problems with the motor.
Curious to know
Thanks

He’s just doing a basic low-voltage continuity test. It will establish that the coils are the same resistance, and that there are no major shorts to earth.

A proper insulation resistance test requires 500V, not the 6V or so of a typical multimeter. Thinking of voltage as pressure, it’s like blowing up a tyre to 0.5psi (instead of 40), seeing no leak and calling it good.

A better test would also involve separating the coil wires and checking IR between the coils, as well as from each coil to earth.

Hadn't considered using a multimeter, i thought they would just be good for 110/240v, im not too well versed in electrical work but do have a few around the house. I imagine it will work 100% but there is always that chance its died though i doubt it. Ill see what i can do with the multimeter and go from there. Thank you

If it’s in a van, why not pop it round to your friendly local electrician? He can ‘megger’ (insulation test) it for you in a few minutes. Better than plugging it in and seeing what happens.

If you want help speccing a VFD for it, post a pic of the motor rating plate and connector box.

Note that not all 3ph motors can be run on standard VFDs.

Last edited:
No need now, just been let down last minute Payment made in advance and courier booked for the morning to collec a bgs 12".. Just had the money returned as the guys boss, supposedly, rented the place out machines included and he was unaware at the time of sale... From ebay.. Very ******* off. Rant over

Breech of contract spring to mind. You should get your costs repaid as a minimum. I would suspect they have received a better offer.

Breech of contract spring to mind. You should get your costs repaid as a minimum. I would suspect they have received a better offer.
I imagine so, though a bunch of other auctions came down too so its possible. I'm keeping hope the guy renting the space doesn't need its use as its not a woodshop, but a car place, but i won't hold my breath 💀😂

No need now, just been let down last minute Payment made in advance and courier booked for the morning to collec a bgs 12".. Just had the money returned as the guys boss, supposedly, rented the place out machines included and he was unaware at the time of sale... From ebay.. Very ******* off. Rant over
Sods. I’ve just had an ebay sale go wrong as the buyer was a chancer, so I know what you mean.

Interesting discussion, though!

Back