Anyone here with a pacemaker/defibrilllator ICD

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Platt

Established Member
Reaction score
Mods please move this if its in the wrong section. As its woodworking related figure this was the one.
Morning all
I have had an ICD fitted six weeks ago as the result of a car accident. There are a number of restrictions on the machinery I can still use because of their electromagnetic fields. I know there are going to be different models of ICD out there but at the moment I`m getting conflicting advice from different sources as to what I can or cannot safely use. I am awaiting further info from the manufacturer but impatience is getting the better of me and I have a contract to fulfill to a very patient client and I`d also like to try and make some money as I`m self employed and dont get any benefits.
If any one who`s been in a similar situation has any info I would really appreciate it. And if anything goes wrong I wont be suing anyone on here.
Many thanks
all the best
rob

Yup! had a defib fitted three & half years ago, you should have been given a 'phone number to use for info about this, I called in with a couple of queries and was given sound advice, (they love to answer your questions).
Since mine was fitted, I've used all my machines without any problems, these include lathe,planer,thicknesser,router,table saw, mitre saw ,belt,disc and rotary sanders, and drills.
Just keep your mobile 'phone at least six inches away from the implant and don't operate radio controlled models.
Wireless broadband is O'K as well.
H.T.H.
pete
ps Don't forget to 'phone those who fitted it!!!

Pip
Why not the radio controlled models ???
Only asking as I am often found playing with them LOL
And bearing in mind all the different freq and power levels that they use

Hi Roger,
I too used to play with r/c, but was told that the transmitter would interfere with the implant, as the tx packs quite a punch,whether this was someone covering their back or not I don't know, but the people who told me were the monitoring team, so I decided to chicken out and sold all my gear, don't forget the tx sends out waves to quite a distance.

Morning again
Roger it seems that you dont need bucket loads of power to create electro magnetic fields hence my queries here. Hope you`re not messing about with an ICD and radio controls. You may end up with unwanted crash landing. haha.
Pip I`ve been told I cant use my chainsaw, generator nor my electric welder which I use periodically to make one off hinges etc for the gates I make. Part of my discussions with the ICD manufacturers is about an accumulation of machines. Say a three horse table saw one horse extractor plus a substation right next door to my workshop. Some of the machines appear not to have caused any problems in the past but my 2hp routers seem to be close to the margins when they`re hand held and the jury still is out on some other equipment that runs on 110 volt transformers. Thanks for your input on this guys I was beginning to think I was going to have to clear out my workshop completely but maybe only some of the equipment will have to go.
all the best
rob

Rob,
The most significant risk to a pacemaker is from electrical noise and not stray magnetic fields - so inverter based high frequency stuff is potentially a problem - e.g. inverter welders, DC lathes etc. Even striking an arc from a conventional transformer based one probably generates significant high frequency noise, but far less than electronic ones.

I think that from a safety perspective the advice not to use some does have merit - e.g. chainsaw - what happens if for any reason you feinted? whereas 'fixed' machines are inherently safer, albeit there is still risk.
A lot of the heavier machines are electrically much quieter -they typically have induction motors which do not generate high frequency noise from commutators etc. however I cannot think of any fundamental reason why 110v tools should be any more troublesome than 240v ones, but I guess since the risk to you is high you should defer to the advice given from your ICD manufacturer.

Ed

Guys thanks for the info
I have a very good friend that has an ICD fitted and he does still fly but he only uses 2.4 I dont even think he is aware of this
Or perhaps he may be as he did give up flying several years ago when he was on 35 m

Me thinks some questions need to be asked ???

Roger

General question: would an earthed Faraday Cage of chicken wire - or better still, weld mesh - enclosing the inverter/110v transformer not suppress the nasty magnetic waves? Supplementary question? Are you banned form Norway to see the Northern Lights? Oh and what happens if you go via Stansted and use one of those electric trams they have between terminals?

Sam

I had an ICD fitted some 4 years ago (prior to that i had a pacemaker for some years) & I (touch wood), do not seem to have had any problems & I shall be 76 in 2 days time. Your local Pacemaker Clinic should advise you & I am only acutely aware of keeping away from welding equipment. I also have monitoring equipment at home so the local hospital keeps an 'eye on me' without me having to visit them. You cannot wrap yourself up in cotton wool & must, within reason, lead a normal life (famous last words?).
Slinger

Hi guys thank you for all the input here there is still some difference in your opinions as to what is potentially hazardous.
I take on board what you`re saying Slinger and thank you for the advice but my problem goes in the other direction. As well as a joiner I`m a mountaineering and rock climbing instructor and about half of my life is spent abroad leading expeditions in the developing world. I should have been in North Vietnam throughout October but i got hit by a car and instead spent it stuck in the UK. I`m due to go to Vietnam in about two weeks and although I`ve never had a problem prior to the accident because they`ve put this ICD in me I`m in danger of being grounded as I have been having stopped from driving for 6 months. My worry basically is if I set something off on this machine I could end up losing my license for longer and not working abroad any more.
Sammy dont know about Northern lights or trams but given I transit through airports about 20 times a year I`ve been told to avoid the metal detectors. We`ve looked at the Farady cage and we`re not certain how effective it might be.
Ed I`ve never fainted in my life so I dont want to start now. The chainsaw problem is the CD ignition system though they do add that if you do faint or have a blackout with a chainsaw you could make a mess of yourself so i guess there`s 2 good reasons for not using one.
many thanks to you all
rob
all the best

Rob
With respect, your 'glass is half full, not half empty'. Carry on (using common sense) & do what you want to do & enjoy it. I think you are over worrying. Tell us later how you got on in 'Nam.
Slinger

Rob,
It seems to me that there are a lot of folk chipping in with advice here, and quite frankly the only advice worth listening to is that issued by the manufacturer of your particular ICD. I am not saying that everyone elses opinion is invalid, but it applies to them only, and the thought of operating equipment that might cause your ICD to misfire whilst you are running a table or bandsaw is not a pretty one.
It may indeed be the case that all is fine, but I really dont think that "My mate has one and he's been fine" type of advice is necessarily sensible.
I am not a cardiologist, but I am an anaesthetist, so I have a little medical insight here.

Good luck with Vietnam though!

Cheers.
Adam

Rob,
Good advice from Kalimna.
If you go to Vietnam, make sure that at least TWO of your companions understand what the ICD is and what to do if you get a "Kick".
Good luck,
pete

Rob Platt":2rw16j7s said:
Mods please move this if its in the wrong section. As its woodworking related figure this was the one.
Morning all
I have had an ICD fitted six weeks ago as the result of a car accident. There are a number of restrictions on the machinery I can still use because of their electromagnetic fields. I know there are going to be different models of ICD out there but at the moment I`m getting conflicting advice from different sources as to what I can or cannot safely use. I am awaiting further info from the manufacturer but impatience is getting the better of me and I have a contract to fulfill to a very patient client and I`d also like to try and make some money as I`m self employed and dont get any benefits.

And you're prepared to risk your life on a basis of a post on a web forum?!?!?

I'd wait (not patiently, I'd phone every day) for the info from the manufacturer.

BugBear

Back