Anyone heard of this guy.?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikNak

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all.... so i'm trying to sell something on Gumtree, the ad has just expired, and i get a response form a 'Richard Jeffries' asking for my bottom price. So i replied "£85 for cash on collection"

and have just had this is his message....

Happy with the £85 but I cannot get to you for weeks, I'm too far away and off to Scotland next week. If I do a bank transfer to you, could I arrange collection. All you would have to do is wrap and box it for me. You don't even need to write a label.
Richard Jefferies (http://www.TurnItRound.co.uk) - My web site.

I've looked at the website, and theres no address or or telephone number listed, so my gut reaction is avoid at all costs :-k [-X

Unless you know different..?

Nick

There are landline and mobile numbers and email address if you click on Supprt on his website
Brian

£ 85 is not a life changing amount of money if he does a bank transfer I don't think that can be reversed. If that is the only offer you have got for the item although it seems strange I would give it ago.

Just to add to make you feel more confident email him on the address clearly shown on his site to confirm it is actually him.

With payment being made by bank transfer and an email address being visible how can this be a scam.
I agree that it is not straight forward but if you want rid of the item, you are happy with the price offered but think something may go wrong and that concerns you just refuse the offer and spend the rest of your days tripping over it.

Don't be surpised if you get the £85 payment twice from a bogus account. Then - send me the overpayment back please. You lose £85 and the fraudulent payment is refunded and you end up out of pocket.

Email the guy

Went too soon...

Email the guy and sound him out a bit. Seems odd that he has a website but virtually no other trace online. I reckon if you ask him about his chosen charities on his site and why he supports them / has connections you'll get some rubbish old answers that will show he's a scammer thousands of miles away.

His website seems legitimate to me as is the payment method but, as he is offering to arrange collection, you will have to box and wrap it and wait in all day for the courier. If that's not a problem then go for it.

Phone him up on the landline. Get someone else to phone on the mobile at the same time. If you get through sound him out about going on a turning course. Ask for address details, if he's vague press for details. Be on Google maps. Oh I have an Old Aunt from near there are you near the White Bear Pub... yada yada You will get a good idea of his Russian Handlers morse code style if you start the conversation with
'It's unseasonably warm for Moscow in the springtime Comrade.'
If at any time he becomes edgy or agitated ask him why it looks like he's Putin the deal off.

Snipe him through the rear bedroom window if he gets too evasive. Dissolve the corpse in HCl. Mix with Gin and Ice and stir not shake.
Report to Moneypenny for a backrub and a smooth one liner.

Stanleymonkey":1kp1yqk2 said:
Seems odd that he has a website but virtually no other trace online.
I think it is a sad state of affairs when being difficult to trace online is considered odd. To me that would be a success. I try to keep a low profile online to guard my privacy. Not that I have anything particular to hide, but the amount of information some people put out seems crazy to me.

Also I try to compartmentalise my online activities and this probably makes it appear that there is less information about me than there really is. Again, no real reason for that but perhaps I don't want people familiar with my hard case Hells Angels profile to link that with my flower arranging or Morris dancing activities, or I want any searches to find my professional background rather than my ham-fisted woodworking.

In summary, I don't think you should read too much into a limited online profile.

Agree with the sentiment of Just4Fun but just asked a mate of mine who works works in fraud prevention for a bank.

His view is that while it could be legitimate it has all the characteristics of a well known fraud ... it’s someone posing as Mr Jeffries (hence you don’t need write a label) and payment will come from a fraudulently accessed bank account which once the owner spots the payment will be reclaimed.

Back