Anyone had this before?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made some dovetail templates out of exotic hardwood scraps, as per (yes, I'm gonna say his name!) Paul Sellers. Good practise for accurate sawing! And p$ss easy.

This seems to be most of my measuring tools in one. That tells me it's probably a piece of rubbish but I'm interested to know other people's opinions.

Gadget :)
It's thin aluminium (2.6mm), and not very big. Limits the use even if it is accurate.
Shinwa make something similar in stainless steel that will be stronger and more accurate but without the novelty holes and dovetail cutouts.
Empire make a rafter square about 7" size in far thicker alloy that is also useful.

To my mind, the biggest problem with the Empire is that it has Imperial graduations, not metric. In the real world that limits its' usability. The two best speed squares I know of are the 175mm Johnson metric and the 250mm Swanson Speed Square metric. The Swansons have stamped graduations and are absolutely bulletproof. The Johnson is less durable but fits in one of my tool belt pouches. They are, however, site layout tools like all speed squares - so probably not suitable for workshop use

Thing about the empire is that it has a good machine milled edge and quite finely etched graduations. This makes it handy as a workshop square because it is robust, light and the full length T edge means it lies flat. Put against an engineering square, you can see light at one end so it's not quite a perfect 90 degrees, but the finest feeler gauge I have won't fit the gap. It's off, but more than good enough for woodwork. I can use it to cut a line with a marking knife, flip, repeat and can't see any error. Steel would be better / more durable but the light alloy is easy to handle.
I have a Stanley adjustable rafter square too. Simply punched from sheet it's super crude and the error at the end of the edge is maybe 0.5mm !

Oh come on now :LOL: Quit this automatic knock it silliness. I know you are all saying one thing but have already placed the order :LOL:
To be added to that drawer of other crazy gadgets we crafties are addicted to buying.

I have a similar one, but Japanese & post free from Japan, about the same price.
This one looks like an 'Orinoco' con, either to get you to join Prime or spend £20+ , otherwise you pay £4-99 p&p. The item would probably post for about £2-95.

Too complicated, I would definitely use the wrong bit and cock up the measuring.

Ollie

Back