Anyone got a Metabo BST12IMP 12V Drill/driver?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for that Neil.

Just looked at Which's comparison in February 2001 (Little time ago now!). And it was right at the top then :)

Slipped down with the "others" in their Feb 2003 review, but I think i'll go for it.

:)

Yes. I've got one. Buy one without further delay, you will not regret it. D&M have a special relationship with Metabo/Electra Bekum, and their price is excellent. Axminster is £170

John

Ok John, you convinced me - all ordered.

Luckily, I made up for my spending habits at a bootfair :shock: . Came back with a few nice bits and bobs. :D

Hi

Probably a bit late, but I suspect the model John has quoted at 170 is the 13mm chuck and the one you are looking at is the 10mm.

Cheers
Neil

Quite right, the 10mm chuck model is cheaper (Axminster £146) although the one Axminster list doesn't appear to have the impulse setting( not that it's needed anyway) The 13mm chuck is unnecessary as well
John

I went for the 10mm one, I realised you got a bit confused there :wink:
3mm Isn't that much more, I've had 2 Makita 12v's in use for 3 years now, both with 10mm chucks - in a workshop environment, not a problem - maybe more of an issue on site.

They are certainly not as chirpy as they used to be, but still work well. (I just want a new one basically :p ).

It says on the D&M site that the £99 one I ordered does have an impulse setting...

Voltage: 12 volts
Selectable impulse mode for driving screws accurately and starting holes conveniently
Metabo "Quick": keyless chuck and spindle stop gearbox for easy, single-handed bit change
Max. torque, soft 16 in-lbs Impulse torque 19 in-lbs Max. torque, hard 32 in-lbs

If it turns out it doesnt, they could be in trouble for breaching the descriptions act :roll:

...basically, I'll want my money back :cry:

Hi James,

I ordered one last week from DM - it arrived on Friday :) Just to confirm, it does have the impulse feature, as does the Axminster version I'm sure. BTW, Axminster price is now £110.

The DM-tools one comes with the new C45 45-minute intelligent charger which is brilliant - the Axminster one may only have the old C60 charger.

I won't say any more, but you won't be disappointed!

NeilCFD

Well, maybe you won't find it special - I don't know what sort of charger your Makitas have...

My existing drill/drivers have 3-hour dumb chargers. As it took so long, I tended to forget that I had left a battery on charge and it would end up being overcharged which, as I understand it, shortens their lifespan considerably. The C45 charger does a fast charge until the battery is fully charged (taking up to 45 minutes), and then switches to a trickle charge to maintain the charge without over-charging, so you can even leave the spare battery on the charger all the time if you like. Using the C45, Metabo say that you will get 2000 charge/discharge cycles before the battery performance starts to deteriorate. If that isn't enough, you can upgrade to the C10 charger which gives you 3000 cycles...

Don't forget not to run the battery completely down before re-charging as this will shorten its life.

So having got used to your matching pair of Makitas, I'm surprised that you managed to resist ordering a pair of the Metabos... :wink:

NeilCFD

NO

.... but I just bought a little 9.6v Makita Drill/driver from Screwfix £64.99 ( £10 voucher off) and its a little dandy M8

cheers

billzee :)

Edit: 2 Batts plus 1hr charger then trickle charge.

This has as much torque as my old bosch 12v had when new

Don't forget not to run the battery completely down before re-charging as this will shorten its life.

I'm not sure this happens with these batteries - the manual interestingly mentions that these batteries have no memory effect and that they shouldn't be deep discharged. They are still Ni Cd batteries though and I've never heard of Ni Cd batteries WITHOUT a memory effect???

Thanks to the discussions here - I bought the Metabo 12V Impuls drill/driver in a pack with the little Power Grip driver + 4 batteries (2 for each). Seemed pretty good value although this was an impulse purchase (get it!!!) from a local retailer so you probably could get it cheaper on-line.

Latest posts

Back