Anyone got a Breadmaker

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dibs-h

Established Member
Reaction score
That they use daily or on a very regular basis? Which one and is the bread better than shop bought? (Not a niche bread person - so just the usual white or wholemeal variety). Did read ages ago that the cost per loaf is also significantly less.

Cheers

Dibs

Used to use one, but I get better results doing it the old fashioned way..........mixing and kneading manually, then baking in the oven. I took a loaf out to cool about half an hour ago, and you've just made me drool. Time for lunch!!

Oh, and yes, the bread is far tastier than shop bought stuff, but due to the lack of additives, doesn't stay as fresh as long. I make 2 or 3 loaves a week.

MikeG.":3q78i4a0 said:
Used to use one, but I get better results doing it the old fashioned way..........mixing and kneading manually, then baking in the oven. I took a loaf out to cool about half an hour ago, and you've just made me drool. Time for lunch!!

Oh, and yes, the bread is far tastier than shop bought stuff, but due to the lack of additives, doesn't stay as fresh as long. I make 2 or 3 loaves a week.

Cheers for the reply Mike. What kind of yeast do you use? Powdered I assume? Or with baking that often - some sort of live culture?

I use a dried yeast, but when I've kept a culture going previously I've had better results. It's just too much of a faff to sustain.

MikeG.":xowpy3x6 said:
I use a dried yeast, but when I've kept a culture going previously I've had better results. It's just too much of a faff to sustain.

When you say "faff" can you elaborate a bit for the novice (me)? :wink:

Cheers

Dibs

We have a Panasonic, that we use fairly frequently. Just made a loaf of granary last night.
I wouldn't know about how long it keeps, it gets eaten too quickly.
Also very useful for making pizza dough, or dough for cinnamon rolls, for example. I also dabble with sourdough, with mixed results.
I think I have heard that Tesco branches that bake on site will always give you live yeast, but I've not been down that route myself.

John Brown":h578balb said:
We have a Panasonic, that we use fairly frequently. Just made a loaf of granary last night.
I wouldn't know about how long it keeps, it gets eaten too quickly.
Also very useful for making pizza dough, or dough for cinnamon rolls, for example. I also dabble with sourdough, with mixed results.
I think I have heard that Tesco branches that bake on site will always give you live yeast, but I've not been down that route myself.

I read something similar about Asda stores that bake in house as well years ago.

The Panasonic - how big a loaf does it bake? Something analogous to the traditional 800g loaf or more like the 400g one?

I've been making my own bread for 40 years and have had, I think, 3. The first was a Breville, which was great. When that eventually gave up the ghost I bought its direct replacement, Branded Anthony Worral-Thompson, before he screwed his reputation. The cycles were different and I could never get it to bake properly. So I used it to make the dough, let it prove and then bake it separately when I was happy with the rise.

I now have a Panasonic, but I have become a bit intolerant to bread, which is a real pain (little French joke there :)), so I don't eat it much and I can't remember when I last baked a loaf.

You do have to use good flour (it does make a huge difference), but the bread is far superior to anything in the supermarket. I use one scoop of granary (malted flake), one scoop of strong wholemeal and make it up to 450g with strong white.

Dried yeast is fine while it is fresh, but doesn't keep very well once opened. I tend to get it as fresh yeast from Tesco (free), cut it 2:1 with flour and then freeze it in cling-film, 36g in a screw. There is an Instructable about it here.

I miss my bread :(

At the risk of sounding like a nerd - anyone got any pictures of any loaves they've baked?

Here at home the predominant consumption of bread is either for toast and sandwiches - don't really want a rebellion on my hands if they end up with a few smaller sandwiches instead of one. LOL

I've used breadmakers for over 20 years now, although sadly, like Steve, I can no longer eat as much as I want to.
Youve seen the replies, I agree, PANASONIC is the king of breadmakers. Its a rare day when you hear any other make being praised.
I wore the first one out, the second has had a hard life but is now in semi retirement.
We did make pizza dough 2 weeks ago when the grandkids were here, fed 5 hungry people with no effort at all.
Buy strong white flour, and wholemeal, mix the two at 50 50 for a lovely loaf. Use breadmaker yeast, Allinsons or hovis.

The panasonic makes TALL loaves, aint nobody gonna complain about two slices toasted with butter and bovril.

If you make it right, the loaf is over 7" tall. I used to cut two slices a day for breakfast toast about 1/2" thick (nothing else required till lunch), and got 4 or 5 days out of a loaf, which is just right because being additive free it doesnt keep past a week in open air.
Dont tell me youre one of those "vegemite" people :roll: :roll: :roll:

sunnybob":fa98rpjg said:
Dont tell me youre one of those "vegemite" people :roll: :roll: :roll:

LOL..nope. No vegemite, real mite or bovril - just butter, marg or jam.

Tried marmite years ago - and I pulled a face like on that ad in the past year where the young lass is eating marmite on toast and her beau comes in and kisses her - the face he pulls, that's me. :mrgreen:

Growing up - largely what was eaten was whatever was cooked and served up, so no real "broad palate", rather a narrow one. When I left home I did try stuff that I had never tried before. Take for example - never had Branstons or any pickle till I was in my mid 20's.

Really liked it and still eat it. Things like picked gerkhins - didn't have them till maybe 5yrs ago, happily grab a few out of the jar and eat away. Same with sun dried tomatoes. LOL

I try most things and aren't a fussy eater. But Bovril, Marmite and stilton - huge apologies, I just didn't take to them. :oops: :D :D I'll go hide in the corner. :mrgreen:

So tall, in fact, that I usually have to cut a slice in half and toast the two halves separately.
My holy grail is a toaster that will take a whole slice of Panasonic, and yet pop up far enough that I can remove Vogel slices without tongs...

John Brown":3pcv75im said:
So tall, in fact, that I usually have to cut a slice in half and toast the two halves separately.
My holy grail is a toaster that will take a whole slice of Panasonic, and yet pop up far enough that I can remove Vogel slices without tongs...

Blimey that is big if you can't fit it in a toaster.

I think I will defo look into getting a Panasonic.

Back