anyone got 13 grand for a turntable?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know:eek:. Towards the end I got the impression that the turntable itself was about 5k, and the tone arm potentially another 5k again.

I know for a fact my hearing isn't good enough for that to make any sense, especially taking my taste in music into account:rolleyes:

But it is a lovely looking thing.

A really beautiful bit of kit, then it came to where he fitted the arm. At first I thought it said Ikea, lol. Looks beautiful, I wonder what it sounds like? Just put on Dark Side of the Moon. Hiss....crackle....shhhhhhhh....pop.
It's great to see there are still a good market for esoteric HiFi equipment. I used to be right into it. Still got all my old gear, but it's a bit of a waste of time since my hearing rolls off rapidly after 5kHz.. I'm happy with crappy old MP3's now.

I really love the Analogue Disk Player ÂŁ48,000!!

Nice amp and speakers to go with it (Hi-Fi Lounge is always a good place to dream shop the Euromillions win).

Attachments

• 06-05-21 20-55-38.jpg
    06-05-21 20-55-38.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 06-05-21 20-58-18.jpg
    06-05-21 20-58-18.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 47
The first thing I fail to understand is why play a record when the source is analogue and the video is digital, sort of negates it all really.
The second is why a Garrod 301 that has been modded to death. If you are into vinyl replay surely just buy a modern t/t with the best cartridge you can afford. ÂŁ13k is absurd imo, even if money no object.

The first thing I fail to understand is why play a record when the source is analogue and the video is digital, sort of negates it all really.
Not sure I understand this statement? Do you mean demonstrating an analogue audio playback on Youtube?
The second is why a Garrod 301 that has been modded to death. If you are into vinyl replay surely just buy a modern t/t with the best cartridge you can afford. ÂŁ13k is absurd imo, even if money no object.
But how far do you want to take that logic? ÂŁ13k is nothing in the world of audiophile, if the video was about a ÂŁ26k turntable would people suggest a Garrard 301 is a better choice because ÂŁ26k is absurd?

I can think of worse things to spend ÂŁ13k on. Besides, the video is actually about a turntable that is potentially significantly more than ÂŁ13k as we don't know how much the plinth is. I reckon it's probably as much as the Garrard deck itself.

Last edited:
Comedy note: the speaker locations in the last minute of the vid (both against a rear wall, and one hard up against a side wall) will be resulting in massive (as in maybe 20dB+) nulls in certain frequencies due to comb filtering from wall reflections.

(the actual build of the plinth is very nice work though)

People pay astonishing amounts for things but if you have the money and it's what floats your boat so be it. Aston Martin occasionally get payed a huge premium to fit customer supplied audio into their vehicles, I'm no expert but I cannot believe anyone can hear the difference over the sound of a V8, the standard kit they fit isn't exactly shabby

I had a Garrard 301 40 years ago. This preceded the 401, both idler driven. These were pre-belt drive days. They had an interesting status, not quite sure why since they were nicknamed "rumble drives". Is this the same turntable?

Regards from Perth

Derek

I was taking hifi to someone once, and they said -

"I just smoke a spliff and it all sounds 10x better anyway"

I figured at the time that seemed a way cheaper option!
Funny enough your reply is quite true.
When I was in audiology I was referred to ENT dept for CT scan of my facial sinuses
In discussions with the consultant he asked how I was managing the dramatic hearing loss I have had and told him that I was thinking of resorting to a joint or two as listening to hifi records has really taken its toll...jokingly

He told me that its actually been found that taking cannabis actually enhances hearing levels and clarity of lyrics.
He didnt go into further detail.
And I cant confirm the findings as my wife repeatedly tells me NO!

The perfect thing to play my dusty scratched charity shop vinyl on.
I lived in Japan in the early 80s and remember going to a shop where one of the turntables was US$25,000 and the wires connecting to the speakers were actual flexible tubes filled with mercury. I wasnt game to move inside the shop in case i knocked something

I've actually got a great idea for a stand for a record player, built in speakers based on the old horn shape of the HMV pic record player. storage etc.
Not sharing it with you plagiarists though ;) :LOL:

Latest posts

Back