Anyone Going to Ally Pally?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the general feeling on this show? I'm also thinking of going, but it will be an expensive weekend, and that's before I get into the show! I'd have to soften the blow by taking SWMBO to the theatre!

I shall probably go to Ally Pally, I have been for the last few years. It isn't as big as the Axminster show but there is more room to move about which is nice and most of the usual suspects are there in some form or another (sometimes showing subsets of what you see at a bigger show). If you get there a bit early there is a very civilised place for breakfast at the entrance.

I go on Sunday so that I can drive there without traffic being a huge problem and I usually need the car to haul back stuff - last time it was about 1cwt of Bessey clamps! There are good deals on Sunday too, being the last day. I picked up a full set of guidebushes for my Dewalt 621 for a tenner and the guy gave me an 8mm collet for nowt! :lol:

I have phoned and ordered tickets. I have booked the Friday off work and am going to take my Dad with me. :D

If any of you are there on Friday and see a chap wearing clogs as shown in my avator then introduce yourself, I don't bite :shock: :wink:

We'll be there (of course)!

Feel free to treat our stand as a meeting point, perhaps at 12 each day?
Perhaps we should get some badges made to wear so we can spot other forum contributors.
Yeah, you're right... that is a naff idea!

We're just inside the front door as ever. Hope to see some of you there!

Hey Karl, long time no chat, I'm thinking of going on the Friday but the traffic may make me change my mind.

Dennis

I'm as yet undecided, I went last year, and didn't think too much - but it's still my closest show which is "independent" - as in, it's not the Axminster nor D&M show.

I'll wait to see how busy I am in a week or so...

Adam

Ill be there, probably take the day off and go on the Friday despite all my years of woodworking as a hobby i've never been to a show and since i grew up in the area it will be nice to visit there again, incidently i vividly rememeber standing in the playground at school when i was about 11 watching the old palace burning on the top of the hill

Hi Folks
...if anyone is interested in small scale turning come and say hello... I'll be on the Draper Tools stand making designer toothpicks.... :lol:

Where is Ally Pally (don't say london!)

More specifically would arriving in Steanstead at 10am and leaving steanstead at 7pm make sense? how long would it take to get there / back?

Thanks
Les

Les, not sure it's worth it. If you manage to get out of Stanstead by 10.30 or so you're looking at an hour or so into Liverpool Street, then rail to Alexandra Palace (changing a few times) or tube it to Wood Green. maybe get to the show at 12.30 or so and you'd need to be away at 4.30 or so. This is all assuming planes and trains are on schedule.
Of course cost may also be a factor. Flights + £25 rtn Stanstead Express + train fares + admission etc.
I've been at the show a couple of times (02 & 03) and unless it's improved I found it rather disappointing. Very few manufacturers just local shops with retail stalls and retail prices (disguised as "special show prices") Frankly you'd see more at a large store like D & M in Twickenham. But perhaps it's got better since I was last there. JMHO.
I'd wait till the bigger shows in October and November.

Noel

You'd get off the train at Tottenham Hale, and get a cab to Ally Pally - maybe a tenner max. 30 mins from airport to station, 10 mins to Ally Pally. Sorted. If you wanted to go.

Latest posts

Back