Anyone fancy a trip to Bilbao??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If they can get down, that's some skilful flying! Even if they approach skewed (technical term...yaw?) the aircraft has to straighten up the instant before the udercart touches...if not, there's the danger that the whole thing will get ripped off - Rob

The tech term for getting straight on touchdown is to 'kick off drift' and the drift is the bit where you point the nose into wind enough so that you can follow the flight path to touch down!

Blimey, if aircraft drivers can't get the first 5 and the last 5 minutes of a flight right then what are they paid for? The rest of their time they sit on their anuses and drink coffe, chat up airhostesses, etc. :twisted: :twisted:

I was an aircraft eleky on big R.A.F. transports for 12 years and we always said that birds and fools fly for a living and not very many birds fly at night! The ones that do don't fly in VERY bad weather!!

As a matter of interest, I love flying! My avitar is a Fougar Magister. I own one 8) 8)

WOW

Fantastic looking plane John. Not envious honest :mrgreen:

My company in a past life had a couple of twin prop beachcraft barrons and a cessna which actually had a pressurised cabin (oh the luxury of it). I was allowed to use them for trips to Scotland and N.I. and did so regularly. Couldn't pilot them of course but next best thing sitting in the co-pilot seat - loved it!

Just boring cattle truck flying now though I did have a stint at the controls of a glider a few years ago which was great fun.

How often do you get to fly it and how much time spent "tinkering" with the mechanics? :)

Bob

Ready for takeoff !! I had a mate launch it for me because the fusalarge is just too big to hold with one hand. 6 foot span and a PSS, power slope soarer, yes, a glider! :roll: :roll: :twisted:

MAGISTER7.jpg

With the tip tanks on

MagisterSelsley2.jpg

Looks very impressive. The one in my avitar was the last one owned by any European air force, Belguim, and used to be part of their display team a long time back. There's still several flying Lovely airoplanes

Magisterheadon.jpg

=D> :lol:
Hook line and sinker #-o :oops:

Still love it though. I flew model aircraft when a teenager - very unsophisticated gear.

There is an annual large model aircraft weekend every year on the outskirsts of our village including a huge 4 engined bomber. hell of a sight (and noise).
One guy crashed his plane on the first day and was in tears. Said there were upwards of 1000 hours work to build it :shock:

cheers

Bob

Bob, sorry mate, but I just couldn't resist it. I haven't really flown since getting here, but the sort of models that I have.

1935 Minimoa. 10 foot span gull wing German glider and wonderful to see in the air. So perfectly ballanced that my model has just rudder, elevator and spoilers. No need for ailerons and the spoilers are needed to get it back to earth, it loves to fly!

MEMINIMOAA.jpg

1990s fibregalss Discus 2, 1.6 meter span and weighs in at 3 lbs. Will fly on anything from a whisper to a 1/2 gale! So sleek and easy to fly.

Discusflight1.jpg

And all sorts in between, including a couple of electric powered gliders. Great fun and just as infectious as turning believe me! That Discus really is a model. I have had it up to 1000 feet and almost 100 MPH measured with my Garmin Etrex in it..

Edit : - I have been asked why I have never taken up flying full size. My answer has always been that 1. It is too expensive for me although I would love it and 2. I have seen just how I land sometimes and I wouldn't want to be sitting in some of those landings :oops: :oops:

Hi John

They look great and I fully understand why they are so addictive - you haven't grown up yet then? :) :wink:

I loved the glider flight and looked into the initial start up costs but far too rich for my blood also and a powered aircraft must be many times more expensive. Sat in a microlite as well but the flight was eventually abandoned due to high winds. I wasn't too upset however as the pilot told me the wing was held on by only 1 bolt, known as a JESUS BOLT :shock: He could have been winding me up of course :lol:

My first model when I was 10 came as a Christmas present, a plastic hurricane control line kit quickly followed by flying wings of various sizes which I occasionally flew in combat competitions. Stlll have a couple of the old glowplug 0.49 engines and there's a 2.49 diesel somewhere. Basic 4 channel r/c high fixed wing trainer followed and never got past that but did build a helicopter, just couldn't fly the bloody thing without crashing it.

I sometimes hanker after taking it up again but really don't have time. If honest, building was at least as much fun as flying them.

Bob

If you remember the old saying, "growing old is mandatory, growing up is not.." :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Why would you need more than one bolt? You only need two if one isn't strong enough, just pray that the one ain't a shear bolt :shock: :shock:

We live fairly close to Salvasa, Carcassonne airport and I quite often lok up with envie. Especially when any of the little fibreglass "T" tail aircraft fly over quite low. A Rutan flew over. A superb little aircraft

http://www.aviastar.org/air/usa/rutan_longez.php

There can be downsides if of a nervous disposition.
I was in the co pilot seat of one of the Beachcrafts one foggy winter day flying from Hull to Aberdeen for a meeting. We used agency pilots for the planes and were on autopilot after he checked in with Leaming to drop down to 1500 ft . He was showing me how to navigate when we suddenly got a radio warning to gain height. The bloody idot had set the controls wrong and we were down to 50 ft #-o ....scared the bejesus out of me :shock:

When I investigated back at the office I discovered he had been crop spraying in Italy 3 weeks earlier. - Never allowed him back.
Worst thing was that my chairman was only interested in that the plane hadn't been damaged :lol:

Bob

Back