Anyone do any fluting/shaping with a router?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone do any shaping with a router on the lathe?

I've seen jigs like the one below which use a fence that the router sled follows to cut straight flutes at a fixed depth.
I've also seen jigs that instead of a fence to follow, use a depth stop around the cutter to only allow the cutter to cut in so deep, allowing for the flutes to follow the shape of the piece (these do rely on the operator being able to move the sled perpendicular to the piece by hand)

But what I would like to do is flutes along a curved piece, that feather in/out at the start/end of the cut. I've experimented with having a "curved" fence, i.e a fence that follows the shape of the piece, but also feathers out at the start/end of the cut. But it's a LOT of trial and error to get it right, and it's all too easy to ruin the piece figuring it out. Just wondering if anyone had any better methods?

1639656621239.png

If you put a depth-limiting shroud around the router bit you should be able to follow the profile of the wood. Shouldn't be too difficult to rig up something judging by your good jig-building skills

What am I missing here, surely a toolpost with tool will cut what the router can cut, does the tool need to spin? or is it the choice of router bits compared to tools.

Put a finger on the base of the router matching the cutter shape and place your template on the lathe bed table to follow. Make adjustments to the position of the template to regulate the depth of cut or any fade in/out of the ends. Reshaping the template as needed too. Very similar to a copy attachment.

Pete

You could turn the piece to a shallower curve, then do the routing using the depth stop on the bit, then turn again to the final curve where you take away more at the ends of the flutes to shallow them out as intended.

Another method is to clamp the base board that you run the router jig and make a template the same as the inside/outside shape of the bowl and allow for the tapering at each end fit this to the base now fit a piece of wood to the jig that holds the router at the base use this to follow the template you fixed to the base board. It mat take a little setting up

Latest posts

Back