Anyone bought maple from british hardwoods?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done the above please?

I need some for a smallish job and don't have the time or inclination to thickness it myself.

So I want to know if their planed stuff is good clear stock. They say it is, but second opinions are always useful.

Thanks

Cheers

Tim

Not bought any maple, but all the planed stock I've ever had from them has been pretty good. Mind you, that'll be a while ago now, thinking about it. :-k So probably not very helpful at all. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Tim, i have not used them at all (and so i am being even less helpful then Alf), but if for what ever you do not use them, then www.slhardwoods.co.uk do some very nice maple. They are not the cheapest but the quality of all the timber i have received from them has always been first class. They even do a nice line in birdseye maple when they can get it.

Regards

Woody

I've had oak and walnut from British hardwoods and it was good qualilt, straight grained with no knots. That was a while ago though. The thicknessing marks were minimal.

Didn't Aragorn buy some recently for his kitchen? As you posted in that thread - I guess you've forgotten!!

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4091

He also bought timber from them for this project:

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4261

and here also:

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4396

Adam":2r3cvw9v said:
As you posted in that thread - I guess you've forgotten!!

No - I hadn't. The question was: has anyone bought MAPLE from British hardwoods? not has anyone ever bought ANYTHING from British Hardwoods? :roll: :roll:

Cheers

Tim

Oops, well walnut, maple - they both wood aren't they 1 :lol: :? 8) :oops:

Adam

Sorry Tim, once again I can't help you on the Maple front but I have bought a hell of a lot of oak from them with out any problems...and I wouldn't hesitate to order anything else from them.....I'm sure they would be more than happy to show you around their nice new building/showroom and if you can wait till the end on November you can double up on the trip and go to the Harrogate woodworking show where they usually have a stall too.....

Anyhow, two thumbs up of British Hardwoods.

SimonA

I recently bought some maple from British Hardwoods (only 3 planks though so not a huge statistical sample). Two boards had a little bit of unusable wood at one end but apart from that were clear apart from the odd very small knot. Bear in mind though that this was my first ever hardwood purchase and I may not know a good piece of maple from a bad piece. :?

Graeme

Tim,

When you purchase timber mail order or unseen, suppliers usually supply some of the timber rejected by site visitors.

If you are placing an order for one piece I would qualify the order on the telephone with a request asking if the timber is perfect. If more than one piece ask how much timber wil be usable.
If quality is then not as promised you have some grounds to return.

I got burnt by a timber supplier, thinking of donating some wood for the local guy fawkes celebrations shortly. :roll:

Tim

I have had a lot of PAR'd maple from BHW's and have had no complaints in the quality, got about 5 cubes in the WS for a future project.

Back