anybody own or read this book?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I bought this book and was a little surprised when it arrived that it is so little. Love the whole story behind it.

So, my plan is to make a side door/gate to the side access of my house. It will be painted so wondering what would be the best wood to use?

Thank you

Mutley Racers":22q72iy2 said:
...So, my plan is to make a side door/gate to the side access of my house. It will be painted so wondering what would be the best wood to use?
That depends upon what you mean by 'Best'.

In my opinion it would undoubtedly be Keruing but that is based upon being the most durable. It is probably the most difficult to work though.

Mutley Racers":31hgcvc9 said:
Oh, maybe not the most difficult to work with then. Thanks for the reply. Will look into keruing
The first time I used it was to make a 5' long 4" Sq Gate Post. It trashed my power plane blades before I'd cleaned two sides of the sawn timber.

It is worth persevering with though even if you need to re-sharpen tools more often than you would normally expect.

Sorry, my previous post was meant to say 'maybe not if it is the most difficult to work with'.

Been reading the door book while on lunch and to be honest, a lot of the jargon I don't understand. Persevere I shall but I doubt a door and frame will be built this weekend!!

I have found a door design online which is easy to understand so thinking of making this in pine as it will be my 1st attempt. I don't really want to buy some iroko and spoil it.

Is it ok to build a side door/gate out of pine and then paint it to protect it from the elements? Read a post on linseed paints which sounds good.

Thanks all

There are thousands of outdoor doors in painted softwood surviving ok. "Redwood", which is noticeably resiny and pine scented will be better than vaguely labelled softwood which is often spruce.

If there are bits of jargon in the book that don't make any sense, you could try quoting them on here for a translation.

The more times I read the clearer it does get. Mostly it is me not really knowing how joints and marking up joints work so a story stick is confusing.

Thanks for offering to help.

Will definitely post up when I am stuck.

So here is my attempt at a door.

Unfortunately there are gaps in some mortices due to tenons being too small. Holes where they went a bit off centre so not lining up spot on.

Is there a gap filling glue?

Unfortunately there are gaps in some mortices due to tenons being too small. Holes where they went a bit off centre so not lining up spot on.

Attachments

• IMG-20190623-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20190623-WA0002.jpg
    431.3 KB · Views: 60
I found it really difficult to cut to the line with the tenons. All went a bit narrow or fat.

Just got the vertical cente onea now and a couple of panels.

I enjoyed the process but a lot more to just marking and cutting. Working out the materials list, size of tenons, etc was quite hard.

The next one will be much better, now you've got some real experience and an idea of how exact you need to be.
Rather than gap filling glue, you might like to glue some thin slivers of wood / pieces of veneer on to your tenons, wait for the glue to dry, then pare or plane back to proper size.
Or just re-make the worst ones.

Tyreman, I've gotten around to having a good read through the book, whilst I'm not quite sure what specific information you're after, I will say that the little book is a good one! It's an excellently laid out reference book on traditional methods much in the same way as Ellis' or Hasluck's books are. It pretty much covers everything you would expect about traditional door making, from simple ledged doors to multi-panel doors with various methods of construction. The same can be said of the window making part of the book, from very simple casement windows all the way to complex bay windows and triple sash windows. It is a shame the author was anonymous, he was very clearly a very knowledgable man.

Would definitely recommend it to anyone looking into making their own doors and windows, but also would stress that you will want to look into modern draught sealing :lol:

Mutley Racers":3i3bizv6 said:

It looks to be a very good first attempt Mutley, I would say Andy pretty much nailed it on the head with his suggestion, pack up your tenons by gluing some pieces on and paring them back with a chisel until you're happy with the fit. If you want to head down the gap filling glue route you really can't beat cascamite powdered resin glue for it, it has a long open time and sets hard like rock once cured and is structural and waterproof. Polyurethane glues are gap filling but it's basically just filling the gaps with soft bubbles which aren't structural at all, it's fine if you're gluing something that has gaps and you plan on filling the gaps later with wood filler but in something like a door joint I wouldn't trust it. Polyurethane glue, however, is a very good glue if you've got good fitting joints but is rapid setting so not ideal for the beginner.

Mutley Racers":3i3bizv6 said:
I found it really difficult to cut to the line with the tenons. All went a bit narrow or fat.

Just got the vertical cente onea now and a couple of panels.

I enjoyed the process but a lot more to just marking and cutting. Working out the materials list, size of tenons, etc was quite hard.

How have you been cutting the tenons? All by hand? If so I must commend you as it's not an easy job to rip to a line in such thick timber by hand. It may have been down to the saw rather than yourself, cheaper construction grade saws like the Irwin's or the newer Spear and Jacksons have a tooth form exclusively for crosscutting battens and site timbers, which makes them absolute rubbish for ripping. The difference between an Irwin and an old, sharp rip pattern saw with circa 4-6tpi is night and day. I would suggest if you were going to do it again with the same tools, start by making multiple crosscuts on the cheeks of your tenons down to your lines, and then knock off the blocks with a chisel and mallet, pare back to the line with a sharp chisel.

If you've ever got any questions, don't be afraid to shoot me a PM anytime.

Hi All. Thanks for the replies and advice.

I don't really fancy cutting some veneers as I could not even cut a tenon straight and plumb!!

How did you guess, I bought an Irwin tenon saw but ended up trying to use a bandsaw which I just bought and have no experience ever using one!

I do like the sound of Cascamite. Could solve all my flaws. Hehe.

Another thing I failed on is ordering materials. I did not order enough timber for the panels or even buy any timber for the centre verticals. And, although they looked straight when purchasing, all ended up a bit bowed.

So, off back to the timber yard I go.

Can anyone give advice on how to cut the holes and pins for tenons? I am thinking of a router bit I guess. Again, thanks

I caved in and bought the book today :D thanks trevanion I appreciate your opinion on it,

that looks good to me for a first door mutley, as for cutting holes for pins would a drill bit not bit be ideal for that? or am I missing something?

if you mean chopping out the mortise holes then you'll need well marked out face/edge marks and sharp chisels and accurate marking out.

Hey, I have looked up the pins now and see it is called Draw-Bore tenon joints. So bought a 12mm dowel and drill bit.

Also bought myself some good gap filling glue...

Back