Anybody made any clocks?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimiJimi

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Anyone made any clocks? I am wondering how the clock faces fit into the holes - I am wanting to make something like the attached photo (if it attaches!).

Jimi

Attachments

• WEB-Dancing-Clocks-Lead.jpg
    WEB-Dancing-Clocks-Lead.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 54
all very simple, fiddly but simple, you just need to make sure that the mechanism you buy is the right size for the thickness of your face. Basically one hole, the mechanism has a shaft which sticks through to the front, there will be a thread on the shaft, onto which you screw a washer and nut (from the front), you might want to secure the mechanism on the back too, but that can just be a blob of hot glue or a simple frame, it only serves to stop the mechanism from spinning if you nut isn't quite tight enough. then you just push the hands into place.

sorry jimijimi, I should have looked at the picture properly, it looks like those use something akin to a watch, a quick amazon search looked like each manufacturer does it slightly differently, but it is basically just pushed into the hole and held in place with friction https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=clock+insert&ref=nb_sb_noss_1 seems like it going to be very fiddly to set the time and change the battery, I would try and get some nice deep / thick ones or it will fall out very easily

Those watch style clock mechanisms just push into a round hole often with a rubber gasket to help hold them in place.
You have to prise them out to set the time or change the battery.

The ones ive come across have the “movement” sitting inside a tin case, and this case has 3 little friction tabs punched in it around the edges, you push the case/ movement in as one and the little tabs being a bit springy hold it in place, the back is open so that you can access the hand setting button and the battery,,mind you if you really can get them danceing and jumping about you might want a couple of screws as well!
Steve.

I just cut mine with a scroll saw, finish with a round sander in a drill press

Attachments

• Clip191.jpg
    Clip191.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 6
As somebody previously said. Just make sure you get a movement to suit the thickness of the material you're planning to use. This one I made for my nephews garden bar. It's a segmented turned frame and a 4mm face plus beer labels.

Attachments

• P1020406 (1).JPG
    P1020406 (1).JPG
    215.8 KB · Views: 9
He is asking about the watch type movement which simply fits in a hole cut to the right size with a thin gasket in between movement and the work piece

Not the quartz type movement which is dependent on the thickness of the face as to the movement stem length

As somebody previously said. Just make sure you get a movement to suit the thickness of the material you're planning to use. This one I made for my nephews garden bar. It's a segmented turned frame and a 4mm face plus beer labels.

Thanks all for your replies. As HamsterJam and Stevekane said, it is the type where the whole mechanism fits into a hole, probably made with a forstner bit, that I am after. Do you know what these might be called and where I could source them?

Jimi

Thanks all for your replies. As HamsterJam and Stevekane said, it is the type where the whole mechanism fits into a hole, probably made with a forstner bit, that I am after. Do you know what these might be called and where I could source them?

Jimi
just search amazon for 'clock insert', add '30mm' (or whatever size is needed) if you want to limit the results

Back