Anybody know about Felco secateurs?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric The Viking

Established Member
Reaction score
Bristle, CUBA (the County that Used to Be Avon)
My wife has a pair, Felco Model #7, that were a present and are rather "special" to her (even though they get rather abused).
91NRszqRXQL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

They are really nicely made, if a little quirky, and muggins here has to maintain them, including sharpening them (although I'm not allowed to actually use them). I am training her in the ways of 3-in-one oil, etc, but I've just given them a major pre-season clean and fettle, and noticed for the first time (after years!) that the anvil actually curves in very slightly towards the end of the cutting blade. I'm not sure if they have been dropped or that's normal - that surface looks like it has been ground flat (or should have been).

Also in this diagram (from Amazon - it's not on our instruction card):
81ENfY7GkgL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I think it suggests they should be sharpened with a 5deg back bevel. I've certainly never done that, but it implies the anvil shouldn't run against the blade edge at all. I occasionally flatten/polish the side of the blade that meets the anvil, but treat it like a curved chisel usually - sharpen the bevel side only.

So I'm not sure I'm doing this right - does anybody use similar ones and can recommend sharpening technique?

TIA, E.

PS: I am slightly nervous about changing my system. The chap in diagram (2) appears to have amputated his index finger!

We have a pair, they also have a slight curve like scissors have, no back bevel on mine. I take mine apart to sharpen them.

Pete

I have a pair of no8 Felcos that are about twenty five to thirty years old. I have always sharpened them basically as you have, and looking at mine, the anvil doesn't look as if it curves in. If they have always cut well, I don't think I would change anything.

Nigel.

Racers":r3s5vlio said:
We have a pair, they also have a slight curve like scissors have, no back bevel on mine. I take mine apart to sharpen them.
Pete

Yes, I do the same - the diagram I think is for end-of-the-working-day touch-ups. They do suggest that with the instructions we got - oil and hone after 8hrs use.

Eric The Viking":6b29wr20 said:
Racers":6b29wr20 said:
Pete

Yes, I do the same - the diagram I think is for end-of-the-working-day touch-ups. They do suggest that with the instructions we got - oil and hone after 8hrs use.

me too - I find them much easier to sharpen when they are taken apart.

Don't know if you still can but it used to be possible to send them back to felco to get the anvil insert replaced. Used to work with a top fruit manager who used his so much he did that every year.
Looks to me like the 5 degree pic is just a swipe to remove the burr.
I won't get into the range of sharpening angles for secateurs :lol:

I think (only think) that these tools are made here in Switzerland.

Anyway, in the better garden centre/shop type places here it's quite common to be able to buy individual spares - anvils, blades, the little locking catch thingy, pivot screw, etc. So if anyone wants anything like that and can't find them in UK just send me a PM and I can easily get what you want just 10 mins down the road and send them to you at cost (but please note, Swiss PO costs are horrendously high, so I suggest "last chance saloon" only).

HTH

P.S. My wife has 2 pairs I think - I always take them apart for sharpening - the blades are VERY hard but usually only need infrequent "topping up" with a slip stone.

Edit for another P.S. I'm FAR from expert, but do not put a back bevel on the blade, just flat the back on the stone to remove the bur. Don't know if that "right" or "wrong" but it works fine.

Yes they are Swiss. The UK importer is (used to be) at "Victorinox House" which tells you the other stuff they import :)

Spares: I have a genuine spare blade (not anvil, mind) from Amazon. It was the least expensive place to buy (obviously that's not always true!), and around 10 quid if memory serves. But I'm saving that literally for a rainy day... after I have rescued the rusty mess from wherever they got left in the garden ;-(

More seriously, Felco seem to have everything set up as parts SKUs, so I could probably even get the aluminium castings if we ever had need. Outstanding service.

Which reminds me - it's time my Swiss Army Knife went in for a service. It last had one around 30 years ago, and came back looking new...

Eric, dont know if you know but the company that deals with felco in the uk also deals with victorinox swiss army knives

I dug mine out today to have a look. I thought I had the basic ones, but must have splashed the cash when I got them a few years back, because they are the number 8!

I have sharpened them little and often without disassembly. probably due a strip down, but they hold an edge very well. They could do with a good clean, the blade is black rather than silver. any suggestions what to use?

When they get black, which they quite often do (I think it's the sap from the things you've cut reacting with the metal blade) I just use a SMALL/QUICK squirt of WD40 then brush over with a fine brush (I use the brass wire brush you get for cleaning suede shoes). But I do do that almost every time SWMBO uses them - I'm not allowed to use them! Then disassemble - or not, as you wish, then just a gentle touch up with a fine slip stone, plus a GENTLE de-bur on the back and off you go!

It is funny how many people are restricted from using the things. Kitchen knives, I dislike other people using and I wouldn't let them sharpen them but secateurs I am fairly relaxed about letting family members use. My dear is somebody losing them.

Yeah, you're right marcros, but then I dislike anyone using my chisels or planes for example - in fact no one else does! - so I can understand SWMBO (she knows I'll clean them & touch up the blade after every session anyway).

But possessing precisely NIL culinary - or gardening skills - why keep a dog and bark yourself? - apart from washing the kitchen utensils up I do NOT miss using the Felcos or anything else :D

flying haggis":1qyzop5w said:
lots of places in britain also sell the felco spares ie
https://www.interiorlandscapingproducts ... -and-parts

the company i used to work for distributed all the felco range including spares

just remembered. one of the businesses ( a bakery) a couple doors down from where we used to be brought round four boxes of swiss army knifes and felco secateurs, with the words" we think these should have been delivered to you". a rough working out of the value came to £27000 at trade price!! if they had kept them and denied having had the delivery........

Back