Anybody having problems getting onto the Axminster web site?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cutting Crew

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I saw a post about the new Axminster web site being so much more "user friendly" recently, but I can't get on there.

Every time I try it seems to take an age and I've got broadband, anyone any ideas?

Regards....Mike

Hi Mike,

I just tried and it seems to be working fine.

Might be a browser issue - what browser are you using? You could try clearing your browser cache, which sometimes causes these glitches.

Some funny business going on - I can't access it from the broadband connection behind my home router, but I can access the site from my work VPN connection. Been like that all weekend - but could access it fine last week?
Cheers
Gidon

Hi Pete,

My browser is IE6 and the cache is cleared out most days.

I just spoke to a colleague who can get on using dial-up but can't get on using broadband.

Regards....Mike

Mike,
If you have their address in your favourites folder, check that the url does not include a session ID from a previous connection (when you saved the favourite). It does not handle this situation gracefully.

I cannot get it on my broadband at all. It seems that this is only happening to broadband users. Any ideas?

Regards

Woody

Working fine for me on broadband. I typed in the address as I don't have it stored as a favourite.

John

Johnboy":2v5sscgj said:
Working fine for me on broadband. I typed in the address as I don't have it stored as a favourite.

John

Works fine for me from work. Only problem I find, is my wallet seems to get lighter, each time I visit.

Adam

(Who just invested in some woodturning tools [+Tormek jigs for sharpening] - I can no longer borrow from our carpenter at work, as with changing jobs, I need to give them back :cry: )

I am on broadband, and I just tried it and everything was working fine.

Just requested a new catalogue, as they appear to have forgotten all about me when the sent them out! :roll:

could be dependant on which broadband provider you're using - sounds like one or more ISP has possibly got a DNS problem, and can't resolve the URL to an IP address.

You could try getting a command prompt, and typing:
nslookup www.axminster.co.uk

You should get the IP address 217.64.233.4 in response.

Axminster support":pjfwf796 said:
Dear Gidon,

Thanks for your email. We are currently investigating this as a small number of people have also reported the same problem. BT are currently experiencing major problems with their DNS servers and we believe this to be the cause. BT assure us that normal service will be resumed from around tomorrow lunchtime onwards.

We shall be monitoring the situation closely and if you continue get any problems after that then please do not hesitate to get back to me either via email or over the Web Helpline on 0870 2417141.

Kind regards,

Paul Martin
Head of Web Development

So there you go - it's all BT's fault :wink:.

Cheers

Gidon

Hi Mike
I just placed an order on their new website (so much quicker) - so hopefully they're almost back to normal. I'm BT Openworld by the way.
Cheers
Gidon

Whatever the problem (DNS or otherwise) it's obviously localised 'cos I'm on BT Broadband too and haven't had any problems. We need an emoticon for a 'who knows' kind of shrug!

Cutting Crew":vwhq01bd said:
BT have enough problems as it is.

They certainly do. A month ago I laid 70m of 100 x 50mm trunking underneath a floor in an office block. I put a draw-wire in, and left another by the entrance for whoever used it.

BT Engineer #1 came in, pulled his Payphone cable in and the other draw-wire. So far so good.

I went on holiday, came back to find TWO draw-wires on the floor. BT Engineer #2 had come in to lay his cable (can't possibly have one engineer to lay them all at the same time, can we?), and DIDN'T pull a new draw-wire in. So last week BT Engineers 3 and 4 came to pull in their cables and have to lift all the floor (with carpet and furniture now in place). They couldn't get at it all so ended up just laying on the concrete. So my conduit has two 8mm cables in it, and no-one else can use it.

Am I being harsh in thinking that that is gross professional incompetence?

Cheers
Steve

Steve

Couldn't they just disconnect something, pull that back out with a drawstring attached, then pull it back through together with a new drawstring ?

Jeff

Oh it's all connected up now. And that would mean undoing somebody elses cable. They are very territorial. Not mine, guv.

It doesn't affect me at all. I've been paid for laying the conduit. I just think it's barmy that an engineer - these guys are not kids- wouldn't think to do that. It can't be the first time he has laid a cable.

Or was it?

Back