Anybody having problems getting onto the Axminster web site?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just think it's barmy that an engineer - these guys are not kids- wouldn't think to do that. It can't be the first time he has laid a cable.

Or was it?

and there was me thinkin my company had the market cornered in incompetent engineers....
mind you....I shouldn't complain... thesedays 70% of my workload comes from fixing their ummmmm....well.... efforts...???

they always manage to talk a good job.... funny that huh..??

Steve,

A trick to get a draw string into a conduit is to use a small plastic bag on a thin line and a compressor. The bag in pushed into one end of the conduit and blown through with an air gun. I have never used it on 70 metres but it does work quite well on 25 metre runs. :D
In that size of conduit you could use trained gerbils :shock:

Dave, that sounds like a good idea. THe 70m is through a 90deg bend (well 45x2 cos I made it nice and slow), not sure how it would cope with that.
Like I said, it's not my problem, I've been paid.
Like the idea of trained gerbils though!
Cheers

I am with AOL broadband and i am still unable to get onto the Axminster website.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Woody

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the link, still no joy though.

After initially clearing the cache when booting up, and then clicking on the link I wait upto two minutes and still no Axminster page, I'm on Wanadoo Broadband by the way.

Regards....Mike

What is a cache? Is it the history, cookies etc on Internet Options.

Yes i know stupid question but we all have to learn somewhere.

Regards

Woody

Woody,
Not stupid at all. Cache simply refers to generally short term storage that can be accessed quickly and is often used in conjuntion with chips like the CPU. I was using the term fairly loosely here to refer to the storage of cookies (which is rarely permanent) and can indeed be cleaned out very easily in the Internet Options part of the Tools item on the main Explorer menu.

Thanks very much Chris, yes i thought that it had something to do with internet options.

I have cleared the cookies, files and all of the history but i still cannot get onto their site, anymore ideas?

Thanks again.

Woody

I do not know if any of you are still having problems getting on the Axminster web site, but the problem i was having was all down to Norton Internet Security/Norton Anti Virus. I had tried everything else and after disabling these i got straight on to the site. I do not know if the default settings were to high, but after altering the settings everything is now ok.

Regards

Woody

Woody
I've the same AV setup as you and it'a a right PIA. With a lot of sites I have to disable Norton in order to go beyond the first few pages. The whole Norton thing has just got too big and cumbersome, especially the 04 version. How did it you lower the sensitivity etc?

Noel, who knows he could go and read the manual but....

Mike, can I have a PM too?

Cheers

Noel

Hi All,

After spending some time with Paul at Axminster earlier today and reading Woody's post we've also discovered Norton was causing the problem although it allowed Axminster old site without problems.

I turned Norton Internet Security off, got onto the Axminster site straight away, turned Norton back on and, luckily, the Axminster site is still available.

Thanks all.

Regards....Mike

Mike thanks for the PM (see reply) Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but although Norton Internet Security will indeed allow you to get on the Axmister site when you turn it on again, i think you will find (as i did) that after you turn your PC off and then back on again you will be back to square one. I think it has something to do with Norton restarting again.

Noely, sorry i thought that after altering the firewall settings i had it sorted but as i have explained above when i rebooted my PC i still couldn't access the site.

As far as i can see those of us that have Norton will need to disable it and then enable it again each time we want to visit Axminster. At least until we can come up with something better.

Regards

Woody

Back