Anybody got a Cooksley BPJ 12 x 9 inch P/T?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldWood

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought one of these some 9 months ago and totally unrelated to the effort in moving it, I ended up with a slipped disc and the refurbishment task went to the back burner.

There's a problem with the thicknesser feed motor which involved dismantling the motor and unfortunately I didn't at the time - thinking it would be sorted the next day and I would remember how it went together (!!) - didn't take any photos.

If someone has one of these machines I would be very grateful indeed if they could take a look underneath and see, looking at the attached photo, if the electrical connection box is a couple of millimetres away from the end cap casting or nominally 30mm away and closer to the gearbox. Unfortunately for me the motor casing is machined identically at each end and there seems to be no way of knowing now which way it goes back together. Electrically it may not matter, but if there is an opportunity to get it right I would prefer that rather than assembling it back to front and then with all the hassle of getting the end bearing off, having to take it bits once again.

Looking at the photo I've taken, what I am trying the find out is if the end casting goes on the RH or LH end of the motor as it quite happily fits both!!

Many thanks
Rob

Attachments

• Feed motor_01 (Medium).jpg
    Feed motor_01 (Medium).jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Feed motor_01 (Medium).jpg
    Feed motor_01 (Medium).jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 16
No, but did a google and it appears target manufacturing have the pdf manual!!

Have a search in there, good luck

Attachments

• Cooksley_BPJ_12_inch_Planer_Thicknesser_Manual.pdf
    3.8 MB · Views: 6
Many thanks for pursuing that, Kev, and passing it on. If I had thought I should have mentioned originally that I found that manual about a month after getting the machine, plus from a source I cannot now trace, photos of each motor, but taken in situ and so close up to the details plate that I cannot see what I need to see. The manual of the 1960's era has tyoically no pictures other than diagrams on setting up various things.

Having just said that, you've triggered the thought that I should go back and see if I can find where those photos came from as that source will have the information I'm looking for - many thanks for that stimulation !!
Rob

If the motor fits together either way (without anything rubbing) and its a single phase motor then rebuild it and spin it up. If you have the ends on wrongly it'll spin the wrong way. If it's three phase then it shouldn't matter you can reverse two phases to reverse the rotation.

The other clue could be if the mounting in side the machine dictates the motor is rebuilt one way or the other. I'm assuing there is some kind of box that sits over the area with out finish paint. Will this box clash with something if the shell is back to front?

Just some thoughts

Fitz.

Sorry for taking time to get back Fitz - been away enjoying the great summer we here in Scotland are having!!

Many thanks for replying.

The answer is yes and yes, and no. And further I got so close to the problem I did forget to say it is 3 phase,

My concern is that although the rotor in its projection beyond the stator poles metalwork looks similar, I'm not sure how reliably I can measure that. The confusion is that this motor is integral with the gearbox and only has the one end cap and bearing - the other bearing being in the gearbox.

Logic does say to me that the connection box where the 3 red and 3 back wires go - it's a 2 / 4 pole motor to make life even more complex - would be nearer the centre of the structure. Further the stator coil projection is greater at the connection end, and as there is a fan to go on just inside the bearing, that might work a little better if effectively it went on the end with slightly less projection to give a bit more space for air circulation.

There was the hope that I am not alone in the world with one of these P/T's and the answer would be straighforward!!
Rob

Back