Anybody else love bandsaws?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

rob1693

Established Member
Reaction score
I have an inca euro 260 too small for some people but ideal for my small workshop 4.5m x 4m very accurate and well made

MikeJhn

Grunkel
Reaction score
It should not make a difference if the wheels are flat or crowned, if the blade tips off the front of the wheel I would suggest that either the top wheel is out of alignment, most bandsaws have adjustments to compensate for that, or the bearings are shot, worth checking take the blade off and give the wheel a good tug in all directions any play should not be felt.

ArtieFufkin

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm very pleased with my 10inch Record Power band saw, bought it 12ish months ago. It cuts straight with the right blade for the job and chops though 45mm thick guitar body blanks with ease.

Here's a cut I made the other day at 12deg for a guitar neck scarf joint. A simple jig set to angle I wanted made it a peice of cake.

17.jpg

The only weak point is the fence it comes with as standard, I upgraded to this Axminster one for £30 and its much better.

brittonc

Established Member
Reaction score
When I set up my workshop a year ago, I purchased a table saw, thinking I would get lots of use out of it. Yesterday I ordered a bandsaw as this is what I really need. The table saw was luckily only a cheap Evolution one. I bought the Axminister craft AC2606B. I wasn't able to find much out about it as there were very few reviews but it's more than big enough for what I'll need it for, which is cutting the odd tuning blank but mostly cutting shapes in 1"-2" thick planks. Hopefully it will last me.

If anyone else has the AC2606B, it would be good to hear how you found it, good or bad. Anything to upgrade/replace or is it good to go once set up?

Last edited:

cerro

Established Member
Reaction score
I have had a Charnwood band saw for three years and I cant get it to cut stait I have adjusted the wheels with great difficulty and tightened the blade untill I am scarted it will break but nothing works Its hardly used but I am sure it can be made to work if only I new what I am doing wrong.

KevinLycett

Established Member
Reaction score
I have had a Charnwood band saw for three years and I cant get it to cut stait I have adjusted the wheels with great difficulty and tightened the blade untill I am scarted it will break but nothing works Its hardly used but I am sure it can be made to work if only I new what I am doing wrong.
Scroll up this thread to the bandsaw setup vid it’s pretty solid stuff

DBC

Established Member
Reaction score
Well I do love the old startrite but I have to admit that this and the morticer are the least used machines in the workshop. I do try to avoid taking on any curved work these days though; which probably explains how dusty it is getting.

Molynoox

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm very pleased with my 10inch Record Power band saw, bought it 12ish months ago. It cuts straight with the right blade for the job and chops though 45mm thick guitar body blanks with ease.

Here's a cut I made the other day at 12deg for a guitar neck scarf joint. A simple jig set to angle I wanted made it a peice of cake.

View attachment 134070

The only weak point is the fence it comes with as standard, I upgraded to this Axminster one for £30 and its much better.
Does that fence work ok as it looks like it locks on the front edge only? Pretty good value if it does work.
The fence on my elektra bekum is pants, but it gets the job done.
Martin

ArtieFufkin

Established Member
Reaction score
Does that fence work ok as it looks like it locks on the front edge only? Pretty good value if it does work.
The fence on my elektra bekum is pants, but it gets the job done.
Martin
Yes I does work. I always check it at both ends with a square before use and it is always, and stays square while cutting. Far better than the POS fence it came with.

100+ reviews on axminster website.

Mousekey

Reaction score
Does anyway have any experience of Casadei bandsaws? Italian and the current range is the Aura series. Living in Sweden I have no chance of picking up older UK types, there are few suppliers and long distances to go and see anything as well.

BearTricks

Established Member
Reaction score
I’m after a bandsaw for my small space, so it’s looking like the Record Power BS250 or the Axminster AC1950B.

I currently have a Rexon BS2301A. Theres very little info about it online aside from a few okay reviews (one of which is me, on this forum, seven years ago). I took it out of storage the other day and I can’t see what I liked about it. It’s made of flimsy plastic, the table feels like a substantial chunk of wood could bend it in half and I can’t for the life of me get the fence to stay square.

Another option is the Aldi Ferrex which is currently in stock at half the price of the Record and Axminster offerings and which may well be a rebranded Record itself. That will allow me some breathing space for upgrades and fettling but I feel like I spend half my life trying to find that one ‘hidden gem‘ that brands like Titan accidentally did a good job of, and I‘d be better served getting something tried and tested.

Leaning towards the Record at the moment. The Axi comes with a stand but the Record is slightly cheaper and I can build my own stand with storage easily enough.

Apologies for hijacking this thread but we didn’t need another bandsaw thread so hoping the experts can give me some advice by either steering me in one direction or suggesting something better at a similar price point.

eBay is a no go. Nothing available within driving distance of me.

Molynoox

Established Member
Reaction score
Ferrex seems to get the approval of many including the mighty Millard - like you say it's probably a rebranded something or other, seems to be Aldi's style, and it works well if you can get hold of them.

heimlaga

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyway have any experience of Casadei bandsaws? Italian and the current range is the Aura series. Living in Sweden I have no chance of picking up older UK types, there are few suppliers and long distances to go and see anything as well.
Casadei are professional quality aiming at professional users. I think they are rebranded Meber theese days. However being in Sweden your best buy would almost certainly be cecondhand. That country is overflowing with high quality secondhand bandsaws usually fairly priced.
If you want a small one Elca (the same as Lini and older Luna) is a rather safe bet. If you want a larger saw Jonsered and Waco are two top quality makes that tend to turn up all the time.

Last edited: