Any useful woodworking Apps for the iPad?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
Idly playing around with the iPad and browsing the apps but nothing leaps out at me. So wondered if I was looking in the wrong place and that there were some useful woodie related Apps?

Smiffla":2urf5ngm said:
What kind of woodworking apps you lookin for rog? - smudge

I don't know, really. If you read the other thread, the prime reason for getting this secondhand iPad is as a backup for later on in the year when we go away to Japan. It's also going to be useful as I'll be away on a course for a week and not have easy access to email, the forum(!) etc. So the current plan is to sell it back on eBay after the holiday unless I can find a 'killer-app'.

Someone mentioned an App where you point the camera at the night sky and it tells you the constellations but I've yet to find that. Be impressive if it did! Kind'a Galactic Spotify.

Yep I have that one but it's not a free one.
Stars are out tonight!
There's lots of useful Apps - the ST had 500 of them listed in their mag.
I use Tapatalk all the time for this and other forums.

Rod

Where to start rog.

GarageBand is something that I love to mess around on as it's so useable and fun to play around with. There's a really good app called zumo drive which allows you to access music, documents, movies etc. that you have on your home pc over wifi. So if you fancy watching an episode of new Yankee etc you can. There's sketchup program's if you have any good furniture design ideas. There's a multiple forum website I like to go on which has heaps of varied sites (inc. wood haven). Scrabbles always a winner when boredom sets in! If you want to catchup on soaps etc. (if you're into that sort of thing) tvcatchup is a good app. There's a beautiful lookin game called contre jour which is like a physicsy kinda game. And then there's google earth which I think is my favourite-absolutely stunning!

That's just a random selection of apps to get you goin. I've not mentioned the translator/converter apps cos there things that I'm sure you already have.

Is this the kind of thing you're after? If not let me know and I'll try and be less eclectic - smudge.

Hi Smudge... I guess I must be a bit neanderthal! I have GarageBad on my iMac...never used it...iTunes gives me HomeSharing out on a dusty PC laptop in the workshop and so that covers Zumo. I'd never dream of using SketchUp on anything other than a fulblown Mac...which I do! And I'm not into games. I played around with google Earth on the iMac...cute...but for me a bit of a timewaster.

Thing is that all of these also run on the iMac. What I'm really trying to find are Apps that make the iPad come into it's own....and no, not into reading books off a screen :wink:

knappers":11pb52qh said:
"pocket universe" is a good stargazing app.

Si

Now you're talking! Perfect..a really useful App that plays to the portability of the iPad.

EDIT: Going the the process of buying and installing it. What a kerfuffle? 40 pages...yes, Four Zero pages of Apple T's and C's. :shock:

Quite fancied a bit of wi-fi sniffing but see that there are no apps readily available. Quite funny really...following a few trails led me to whole sites dedicated to jail-breaking iPads etc. Once upon a time I'd have jumped right in. Now I just want an easy life!

There's a few useful things for woodworkers.

Ability to price check when you're in a shop and suddenly see some new "must have" toy....

Another as yet untapped future idea is augmented reality, so when you want to repair / fiddle with / change something, you point camera at the tool, and it overlays instructions / schematics etc... I have seen one for printers, and it's really cool. You point at printer, it recognises it, draws a picture over top, "open here", "put cartridge in there", "no that's upside down...." etc....

however yet to figure in woodworking.

all the conversions between measurements are handy - however you have a laptop in shop, so no added value there.

However one idea I have which I will implement for myself and you are welcome to share is this.

I am fed up with not having all the manuals, or of having pages missing, and i always rip out and throw away the foreign language parts etc...

so I plan to get PDF of all the manuals.
Then i will put them online.
then i will create QR codes for them, and stick them on the machines.

also you can do this for anything....

(in case you don't know, QR codes are the 2-d bar codes you see in magazines and posters)

So here's a real example.

- download "scan" for ipad, or iphone, or qrdroid for android (basically look for a QR code reader for your device - they are free)
- scan the picture below, and it should load something interesting.

chart

now I print the above image (with a title) and stick it to my drill press.

then whenever i need the information, i just scan the QR code, and it opens exactly what i want.

(this is what it loads)

"why not just keep the print out next to the drill press" i hear you ask.

well, for those well organised, that is certainly going to work.

Personally, I printed it 3 times, lost it, got grubby, used it for shim, used it to draw a design on, lost it again....
I even did a laminated version, and still never found it when i needed...

some of you will think it's a stupid idea and a waste of time, and others might think it's cool, and some that it's only a gimmick, not practical.

well, you are all right :)

I find that if every time i come across something really useful, and it relates to a place / machine / tool in my shop, that quickly sticking on a QR code allows me to always access that info using mobile phone or ipad.

QR codes can also be just text, so even just some notes on a tool where necessary, so quick and easy to scan with a phone...
QR generation is really easy to do, http://zxing.appspot.com/generator
enter text / URL and click "generate"

i'd be interested in any constructive thoughts...

Firstly I have an iPhone so not all of these Apps might be compatible?

Here's a few on mine - most are freebies:
BBC News
News Pro
Met Office Weather
Eurosport
Aloqa
HA Traffic
London Transport
QRReader
DropBox
Image to Text
CamScanner
EvernoteNational Trust
Google Translate
Pocket Universe
Forest Explorer
Wild Flowers
Bird Guide
Carpenter
My Measure
Convert Units
iTorch4
PCalc Lite
BBC iPlayer
TVCatchup
Tunein Radio
Shazam
Tapatalk
Tipulator

Rod

I keep the manuals for my tools on my iPad the app I prefer is "Good Reader" though you can use iBooks.
Video podcasts include: The apprentice and the Journeyman, sketchup 3D toolbox, the Wood whisper, the Internet Woodworker, etc.

Videos include some of crpaulk's, specialy his Ultimate Work Bench and its modifications, several from Paul-Marcel

Many magazines: Shopnotes, Fine Woodworking, Woodsmith, etc.

I have a sketchup compatable display program 3DIVA Mobile, I have been testing the iPad version of Ambisaw though at the moment it needs quite a bit more work.

I also have BuildCalc and a lot more.
My usage will probably be quite different from yours as I don't have Internet access while I'm in Thailand woodworking.

Don't use many woodworking-related apps, other than QuickSale for quickie invoices out and about.

GoSkywatch is a good observatory-type App - you don't use the camera, you just point it at the sky and it shows the constellations on-screen. Zinio is handy for magazines, as is Newsstand, BBC News, Taptu (kind of visual RSS reader) Downcast or Instacast for podcasts, Netflix for old TV and movies (subscription service, but first month is free) or Sky Go if you subscribe to Sky TV. TV Catchup and BBC iPlayer, Informant HD for calendars, to-do lists etc.., GoodReader and Dropbox for general file management, annotating PDFs etc.., Adobe Ideas, Penultimate and Muji Notebook for quick line drawings and sketches. Instapaper for pulling together the interesting bits out of a web article that splits itself over 5 pages. And the F1 Timing App, when the season starts ;)

HTH Pete

p.s. ST = Sunday Times, I think...

wcndave":2yiajby8 said:
Harbo":2yiajby8 said:

what is ST?

Dave,

I can't help, but no one bothered with my query about Apps.
I Googled in the end, but as my phone is just designed to do only what Alexander Graham Bell invented the things for, it doesn't help me ! :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Benchwayze":3dv3ric2 said:
wcndave":3dv3ric2 said:
Harbo":3dv3ric2 said:

what is ST?

Dave,

I Googled in the end, but as my phone is just designed to do only what Alexander Graham Bell invented the things for, it doesn't help me ! :roll:

Sorry, John. We all thought you were joking!

RogerS":3rwh9rml said:
Dave,

Sorry, John. We all thought you were joking!
=D> =D> =D>

NP Roger,

As I gathered in fact! I wasn't joking, but then I recalled something I saw on 'The Apprentice' so I googled it. Now I know. :lol: :lol: :oops:
And much good does it do me with my old clunker phone!

Back