Any useful woodworking Apps for the iPad?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well, now you know there's no excuse not to rush out and get a new phone! you can see how many exciting things you can do with them!

We mustn't neglect android either, they have almost as many apps as Apple these days...

Note that the OP did ask about woodie apps...

I did look for the app called "carpenter" that someone mentioned, however could not find it. I did find I.D. Wood, a sort of wood database, however costs £2.99

Not that may good apps out there for woodworkers, to be frank, apart from converting units. I tend to use more for notes, video podcasts, sketches, and looking a LOT of stuff up on the web. however I don't have PC in shop, but also when i go to suppliers / shops, i have all my lists / photos / dimensions etc all there.

another nice app i just found is one that asks you for sheet size and all the parts you need, and then optimises the cut pattern, however at £7 and £16 for the pro-version that's way way too steep.

if you can think of something that you might think WOULD make a good woodie app, let me know and I'll see if I can build one over the next 6-12 months... no promises though.

wcndave":3pwcaah8 said:
well, now you know there's no excuse not to rush out and get a new phone! you can see how many exciting things you can do with them!

We mustn't neglect android either, they have almost as many apps as Apple these days...

Note that the OP did ask about woodie apps...

I did look for the app called "carpenter" that someone mentioned, however could not find it. I did find I.D. Wood, a sort of wood database, however costs £2.99

Not that may good apps out there for woodworkers, to be frank, apart from converting units. I tend to use more for notes, video podcasts, sketches, and looking a LOT of stuff up on the web. however I don't have PC in shop, but also when i go to suppliers / shops, i have all my lists / photos / dimensions etc all there.

another nice app i just found is one that asks you for sheet size and all the parts you need, and then optimises the cut pattern, however at £7 and £16 for the pro-version that's way way too steep.

if you can think of something that you might think WOULD make a good woodie app, let me know and I'll see if I can build one over the next 6-12 months... no promises though.

Yeah. How about a ready-reckoner to work out metres of cladding (Match-board and ship-lap) for sheds etc.
I suppose I could head-work it, but it's a pain.
:mrgreen:
John

Sorry yes Sunday Times, they had a special feature last weekend with another lot this weekend.
They also have a piece on recommend Apps every weekend in the inGear section. I always check with other peoples comments though.

The Carpenter is really iHandy Carpenter which has more features than the free iHandy Level.

I was persuaded by my kids and Grandkids to get an iPhone and I've not regretted it.
I use it all the time and hardly ever making phone calls.
Forums, News, weather, what's on TV, eBay, email, google, checking prices with Red Laser etc. Etc.
I also have the Garmin Sat Nav App which works better than my dedicated £300 one!
I access this forum on it using Tapatalk.

Rod

What is the advantage of Tapatalk over using a web browser as I normally do on the iMac?

Also now realise that my iPad being the first version does not have a built-in camera :evil: My fault.

RogerS":rcnvp6t3 said:
Is there the iPad equivalent of Google Maps?
Umm - Maps?? Comes with iOS as standard:-

Apple-Job-Posting-Hints-at-New-iOS-iPad-Maps-Locations-Services-2.jpg

I use Safari on my MacBook and Firefox on my PC, but Tapatalk on the iPhone is much easier to use for most functions?

Rod

Benchwayze":2hfpj089 said:
Yeah. How about a ready-reckoner to work out metres of cladding (Match-board and ship-lap) for sheds etc.
John
That function is in BuildCalc. You can find the number of any sized unit that is needed for an area. This function is usually used for tiles, bricks or blocks. However as you can enter a custom size all you would need to do is either define a piece that is the usable width and one meter long (giving you meters needed) or the standard length of a piece of cladding (giving you number of lengths needed)

BuildCalc isn't free so you should get the PDF manual first to make sure that it does what you need.

I've got it because I will have to buy all the materials when we build our house. I don't want the problem of over buying or under buying so this will be great fo that. But it isn't easy if you haven't used a building calculator before so I've not studied the manual to learn to use it yet.

It will do very much more than the cladding.

sometimewoodworker":198dxbz4 said:
Benchwayze":198dxbz4 said:
John
That function is in BuildCalc. You can find the number of any sized unit that is needed for an area. This function is usually used for tiles, bricks or blocks. However as you can enter a custom size all you would need to do is either define a piece that is the usable width and one meter long (giving you meters needed) or the standard length of a piece of cladding (giving you number of lengths needed)

BuildCalc isn't free so you should get the PDF manual first to make sure that it does what you need.

I've got it because I will have to buy all the materials when we build our house. I don't want the problem of over buying or under buying so this will be great fo that. But it isn't easy if you haven't used a building calculator before so I've not studied the manual to learn to use it yet.

It will do very much more than the cladding.

So okay for a chicken coop then!
Many Thanks Jerome :)

Air Display is rather neat. Treats the iPad as a second display to the main Mac. Rather nifty although the momentary blue screen on the iMac when you first turn on Air Display is a bit of a heart-stopper!

I've found a good one - bear with me.

For a few years now I have been a judge at STEM ( Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) events for secondary school pupils. The conversation normally goes - How did you make/shape that? Ans I used the laser cutter or I used the 3D milling machine. Brats - these schools should be open to the likes of me - I'm hard pushed to disguise my jealousy.

A few months ago I was on my third and last project of the morning - I'd already had the usual laser cutter etc answer then when I asked how they designed the wings of a glider I got the answer 'We used the wind tunnel' . Really !! I wasn't admitting to being phased so carried on questioning and then gently came back to the 'wind tunnel' issue. Tell me what else does the school use the wind tunnel for? Oh, its not an actual wind tunnel its an iPad app, was the answer.

Now that is a must-have app for all you with iPads. You could model the airflow past hollow forms and all kind of similar useful calculations you never thought you needed.

Brian

I have two woodie apps on my iPhone; I.D. Wood which is ok'ish, but nothing more, and Ambicalc, which takes away all need to memorize the math involved in things. The sole reason for me buying that app was the template offset calculator which is very nice. I don't know why i don't manage to wrap my head around something so simple, but this one helps.

Latest posts

Back