Any underfloor heating experts?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
Went into utility room this morning where my boiler etc is and there was a real chemically smell. I looked in cupboard where one of the underfloor heating manifolds is and it seems to be leaking some strange blue/green substance from near the temperature gauge on the top left? It has had a very, very small leak on and off from the red tap on right hence the container underneath it. The pressure has dropped right down also but not really sure what this is normally on. I have turned it off and am phoning plumber but just wondered if anyone had any thoughts before the plumber tries to charge me for a whole new house :|

underfloof leak.jpg

Thanks in advance, Doug

Attachments

• underfloof leak.jpg
    underfloof leak.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 289
Chances are that is corrosion inhibitor. Is it not worth just trying to nip up the leaky joint yourself before you call the plumber?

It looks like a PRV on the end of the manifold. the blue liquid is most like copper hydroxide from water sitting in the vent reacting with the copper.

sounds like the PRV has lifted in the night, possibly because of air in the system from the leak by the "red tap". you can repressurise the system yourself but it will need bleeding to be on the safe side. if you aren't sure what you are playing with, let the plumber fix it. a plumber is expensive, but not as expensive as a major leak.

as to the leak on the tap, it's a compression fitting, you maybe able to "nip" it up easy enough but there is a chance the olive is crushed to much.

The small water leak seems to be from a part of the red tap that I can't really nip up. Don't think anyone has touched the underfloor heating since it was installed 10+ years ago so probably due for a check over, like I say pressure seems to have dropped so might need topping up. Plumber calling in for a look later as there are another couple of jobs I have for him anyway.

Back