Any toolboard recommendations please?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwillett

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a nice 120cm x 90cm space on the wall in my garage that, one day, would be a toolboard. Todays the day.... only three years late, so that makes it two years early on the missus's calender :)

I was looking for recommendations of toolboards, looking round there seems to be a vast quantity of names such as Van Haus and Sealey. I have zero knowledge of toolboards and wondered if anybody had any recommendations to buy (or to avoid).

I want to put all the myriad of tools (or as many as I can) on the wall off the bench (and the other shelves and the back of the garage and out of that small toolbox, oh and the big toolbox). They all seem to be much the same, but some are metal, some have boxes for screws etc.

My focus would be hand tools, like Mitre saws, hammers, spanners, screwdrivers, socket sets. I do have a nice set of Halford Pro tools from 20 years ago, but the box has broken so its held together with bunjee cords.

Any suggestions or simply buy one that fits and loads of brackets?

many thanks

Rob

Prepare a piece of ply for that size and with it laid flat on the bench put all the tools on it that you want to hang and rearrange as necessary then draw around them lightly, then fasten the board to the wall and then funny shaped bits of wood, screws and nails to suit and put all your tools up, job done. Ian

Thanks for the information. Never heard of a French Cleat wall. Will investigate.

To be honest, I was trying to avoid making my own. My time is exceptionally limited as my main work, IT consultancy, is flat out. I'm trying to buy time with a ready made solution.

Thanks

Rob

Pacing myself isn't a problem, been pacing myself so much recently, I barely move these days :)

It looks great but:

1. I don't have a tabletop saw.
2. I don't have a circular saw, well I did but somebody borrowed it.
3. I will still have to make the boxes or whatever to attach to the boards.

I do like the idea and am looking to see if I can get the wood cut by somebody. Once I have all the cleated wood, the rest is actually relatively simple, and as you say you can just keep adding stuff on.

Rob

Prepare a piece of ply for that size and with it laid flat on the bench put all the tools on it that you want to hang and rearrange as necessary then draw around them lightly, then fasten the board to the wall and then funny shaped bits of wood, screws and nails to suit and put all your tools up, job done. Ian
I agree I call it a shadow board..Lay it out flat & fit tools in the best location so that you can reach everything when its hung on the wall and draw around each tool with a good marker pen. Use thin strong almost headless nails to hang the tools, this allows easy off and easy replacing when the tools are needed. Any forgotten/misplaced/lost tool can be seen by the empty profile. My 25yr shadow boards are needing to be remarked BUT unlikely to happen.

Back