any suggestions on how to do this cut?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would add, others have suggested clamping tubes in place, this is fine as long as the pressure is not too great and is downward as, i believe, that would aid flex away from the blade. Riving knife still essential. The ratchet straps is probably a good call
thanks kev, worry not, holding these things in place is something i am very experienced in.

Do the drum depths vary much? Reading your previous post about the drums flexing out and way, it would be fairly easy to make an end plate on the sled which can slide towards the back enabling a clamp system to be made ( threaded bar and nuts ) which would be very safe and probably fairly quick?

Do the drum depths vary much? Reading your previous post about the drums flexing out and way, it would be fairly easy to make an end plate on the sled which can slide towards the back enabling a clamp system to be made ( threaded bar and nuts ) which would be very safe and probably fairly quick?

they do mate, but this isn't for actual drums, its for drum making tooling/jigs.... some will be 24" deep, some will be 8"... it varies greatly, it does not go up in any consistent scale of size but i tend to make most of my tooling/templates to the max, and the occasional smaller ones for the common requests, which is what i wanted the option of consistent repeatable cuts with sled setup. just in case i have to make a new load up for a request, I'm already thinking about an end clamp, we use loads of them when the shells are mounted in other directions so i have dozens of end plates files set up for the CNC router

I would get one of those very tiny laminate floor cutting circular saws. I think dremel make one.
They have thin kerf blades and being small will be very easy to handle. You could make a jig out of a bit of plywood. I am thinking the workpiece could be put in a box to hold it firm, then the plywood "lid" of the box put on top, then make the cut with tiny thin kerf saw.
Another way would be to make a fixed blade contraption like a bridge city jointmaker Pro, where the blade is fixed and you run the workpiece over the top, nice and safe.

Ollie

One of those wee things might actually do the job....
Something like this would need to be implemented for it, if thee work is going to be cut stationary.

Horrible temptation to 'let us know when you're typing with one hand'.
If accuracy is that important, ask someone to set up
a cnc system for your drums?
10sec per cut, might save you a limb.
You choose the trade offs.
Was going to suggest the same thing, CNC machine, or laser. Sub-contract the work out to a company that has the machines to do this accurately & repeatedly.

Back