Any strain injuries?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howjoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Do any of you suffer from strain related injuries from repetitive use of tools / movements? Muscles, joints...that kind of thing.

I'm currently having to rest my hand to allow the knuckle joints to heal. Not caused by woodworking, but by using the PC mouse on spreadsheet work. Just a bit concerned that when I use tools daily, the strain will come back.

Ta

H

Not from woodwork but using a mouse gave me tennis elbow, or golfer's elbow - whichever one it is that affects the outside of the elbow joint rather than the inner.

Cortisone injections stopped the pain, lowering my chair and using a mouse pad with a wrist rest stopped the cause.

SWMBO had to have two operations for carpol tunnel in both wrists. This was due to typing day in and day out. It got so bad she started dropping things.

I hope the hand gets better soon.

Regards

Woody

Tennis elbow :(

It started one day when I spent hours hand planing some walnut. Never been right since but I spend a lot of hours on a joystick (and, to my disgust, a computer mouse) when I'm at work so it never really gets a rest - tools at home and joystick at work!

There are days when I don't pick up planes with one hand!

Dunno if it's got an official name (I don't do doctors anymore) but the bottom joint of my right hand tends to swell up whenever I do, well, anything. :( Not sure it's a tool related thing, although it first showed up when I'd done a lot of tool cleaning... I have a hunch it has more to do with the absence of a movement in that joint. The joint is there, it just doesn't bend. If a woodworker'd cut it I'd have sent it back as a duff bit of workmanship... :roll: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Got a lot of discomfort with this over last three years; physioterrorism (including ultrasound) and a wunnerful gadget that simply clamps around the upper part of my lower arm to give support on stressful days have reduced it.

Cause? Age, mousing, hammer drilling, lifting several tonnes of bits and pieces by hand over a concentrated period, take your pick.

Sam

My current employers are red hot on this sort of thing - The Occ Health dept referred me to a consultant and he's suggested complete rest for two weeks. No permanent damage but it could lead to future problems if left and not allowed to heal fully. No more laboriously tedious spreadsheets for me :D

The firm are acting very concerned & caring, but thats because of potential claims against them.....

I'm out of their permanently in Oct, and on partial garden leave until then, so plenty of time being spent getting the workshop built & spending cash on shiny new tools....only need a bit of sunshine now! 8) and for this support bandage to come off :x

Done me back in today, (again). Stupid old fool neglected to use his back support.
I have dropped onto working part-time recently because of spondylosis in my spine. Then what do I do???? Load up the concrete mixer I bought to make it easier on me old bones & then didn't use the support. Will I never learn? Well, at least I'm finally under way with the workshop. Usual aches & pains for my age, (50 this year) having done manual work all my life. Later people.
Sliver.

Same problem across the pond.

I started having problems in my late 40s when I built a porch and deck on my house. The third day, I couldn't even hold the hammer. Went to the doc thinking I had a major bone problem. He told be to take a few days rest and to take aspirin for it.

A coupla years later after I'd moved to Florida, I was playing golf frequently when family visited from the colder climes and had a recurrence. My brother had one of the wraps for the forearm and it did WONDERS. I keep a couple on hand. Won't do any painting, hammering or anything now (soon to be 63) without the magic wrap.

Go to your drug store (you call them chemists, I believe) and ask the pro's there for assistance in locating one. I hope you experienc the same quick relief I did.

As for medication, I take Arthritis Strength Tylenol these days when inflammations occur (damn near every day with this old bod).

Rock On!

BobH

I have problems with my left knee. Showed up when stuck in traffic (M25 sponsored by NCP :roll: ). I went to the doctor and he 'recommended' as he could not prescribe it for me a Glucosamine Sulphate supplement. A 750mg table twice a day, 6 to 8 weeks for full effect.

I still get the odd twinge from the knee but have only been on the meds for 4 weeks but my wrist joints are better, I now realise that I had an almost constant twinge in the right wrist I had put down to the aging process and this has made a big improvement. :D

He also recommended an online supplier Healthspan.co.uk, they make Holland & Barrett look very expensive. :-s

Getting on here, too, and using natural remedies -- got rid of a gout attack in 24 hours with potato juice, for example. It's all in a book called 'Swiss Nature Doctor'. I stay way from all refined foods (sugar, flour, fast food, anything prepared) and haven't had any arthritic problems for 10 years now. Still do daft lifting from time to time and put my back out, but a visit to the chiro soon fixes it. Also into alternative therapies (autogenic training, hynpnagogic imagining etc) as lifestyle choices for stress elimination. Wife is a therapist....so am I.

Riding a motorbike is great for the body - the constant gentle vibration from the engine is like getting a massage for hours on end. Just be in a state of mind that you can ignore all the other idiots on the road so the stress stays low...

Worst thing is the pointy device on the laptop which causes pain in the finger joints; I use keystrokes instead as much as possible but M$ :evil: in their wisdom don't allow all functions on keys instead of using the mouse so I have to use it for some things.

Back