Any recommended books on veneering?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Roger

There are but as I learned how to at work ( luck me :roll: ) I have not read any but I am sure Jenkins use to do one if that helps :)

W.A.Lincoln " The Complete Manual of Veneering" (Stobart-Davis)

Scrit

I think the Lincoln book is about the most comprehensive but I don't think it's great on hammer veneering. In think the 'definitive' book on veneering is yet to be written.

Roger
I've a few book on veneering, sadly none count as "definitive", as has been mentioned.
The Lincorn book is a bit dated feeling but lots there to read. Another two I liked a lot are "Finewoodworking on Marquetry and Venneing" and "the best of fine woodworking Veneering, Marquetry and inlay". Some great articles in those two, pretty much all you need to get going.
Hope this helps
Philly :D

Roger, the other place to look is on the Internet - Joe Woodworker. This site adds a lot of very good gen. on vacuum veneering including a tutorial on how to build your own vacuum bag press. I find it fills one or two of the gaps in Lincoln

Scrit

Have a look at Paul Richardson's "Making Classic English Furniture" there is a section in the front that goes through veneering in a very easy to follow way and includes many exceptional tips. It also covers hand cut dovetails in a similar way and then goes on to give details of several projects.
If you're looking purely for veneering try "Veneering - A Complete Course" by Ian Hosker.

Better still though is to get yourself on a course and learn to do it from a practical point of view as opposed from a book. Try Bruce Luckhurst nr. Ashford in Kent. You won't fail to learn.

Stephen.

Back