Any recommendations for low-VOC Danish oils/finishes?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jof

Reaction score
Evening all.

As a man who has grown tired of Ronseal (etc) headaches I thought I'd reach out for a bit of advice. I'm looking for some low-VOC finishes for table tops and chairs (plus the odd wood carving!). Anything that doesn't require leaving the work in the shed for a couple of weeks to off-gas and can be applied with a rag. Current projects are oak and walnut. Carvings are lime

Did some Googling and Tried & True's Danish oil and finishes have good reviews but it's an arm and a leg to import from USA.

What's worked for you?

Rustins acrylic varnish? Linseed oil, tung oil, there’s a plethora to choose from, depends what you’re making
Aidan

I use Colron danish oil - I really like the finish you get.
if you look at the ‘post a photo of the last thing you made’ thread you’ll see a solitaire board I’ve made using three coats to finish the teak board with.

Padster

Colron danish oil is pretty easy to work with. We use it on butcher block countertops and kitchen tables and it’s absorbed quickly and isn’t too VOCy (if that‘s a word). I apply it with a lint free rag, let it soak (if required) and wipe the excess. Takes a few applications to get a full water repellant layer but we have a countertop that’s taken some daily abuse with a Colron danish finish and still looks good

Just Googled and I'm pretty sure I used some of that on some boxes but remember it having quite a strong vapour :/

Has anyone here tried Rubio Monocoat?

Back