Any recommendations for garden lights?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_Pallet

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hiya,
Worth an ask if anyone is impressed with their garden lights, decent solar.

It's my mums birthday and that's what she's asked for lol.

I don't want the cheap amazon ones.

So if anyone has some that are working well and look good, if you would kindly recommend.

I got some Costco ones last year. The 2 that weren't stolen still work well, but I haven't seen them in stock yet this year. When they are I will be getting another pack.

From memory they were about £40 for 8.

I got some Costco ones last year. The 2 that weren't stolen still work well, but I haven't seen them in stock yet this year. When they are I will be getting another pack.
They are very good, I'll be back to get the other two soon!! :LOL:

But seriously We have spent a fortune on crappy solar lights over the years. They are throw away items. Some last longer than others. We have a Ikea light which has lasted years, but it's not really a very attractive design, more functional. I really grudge spending good money on lights. Some cost a fortune and you never know how long they will last.
I would look for IP 68 rating for the best chance of keeping water out. One of the problems I have found with lights which look sealed (IP 66 and lower) is with thermal expansion/contraction of air in the electronics unit. Moisture can be sucked into the unit. Even just water vapour, then it condenses out inside the unit. Once that happens, it's only a matter of time until it fails.

I don't rate (this form of) solar at all, you need a big panel to capture enough light, decent battery management, decent battery, excellent waterproofing. I'm not saying this isn't worthwhile at all, but I think for garden lights you are better off spending the money installing a good quality waterproof garden socket. The lifespan of solar garden lights seems to be so short that I doubt they are all that environmentally friendly either

I have often found the problem with the cheap ones is just that they use poor batteries. If you can take it apart they will often work better by just putting in a decent rechargeable battery. I have done this a number of times. Not only do they last longer but they stay slight for longer too. Worth a try if you have one that's conked out. If you open it up and the circuit board looks ok then just try putting a new battery in. If it doesn't work you've lost nothing by trying.

Back