Any recommendations for a good source of Leigh dovetail bits

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rog,

Before I had my woodrat I used touse a Leigh but sold it after getting used to the rat.

I found that Axminster did their own cutters for the Leigh, back in the yellow perform cutter days and they were a fraction of the price of other cutters. I'm not sure if they do them in the newer Axcaliber Range.I believe that there is also a Dakota set specifically for the leigh but they would be from that dreaded supplier who never supplies!!

axminster supply the genuine leigh ones which are not badly priced and get pretty good reviews. not sure if they still do the other ones too. whealdon and trend ones are a bit more expensive.

When Brimarc used to be the distributor they suggested I went to Handytools for individual bits as Axi and most others don't sell them. They have the full range of bits, bushes etc and service has been very good. Axi & Wealdon also tend to do 1/4 shank bits which chatter a lot, handytools have the 8mm shanks

http://www.handytools.co.uk/acatalog/Le ... l_Jig.html

J

I'm finding the whole Leigh thing very complicated...so many different jogs and variations. My Leigh is an early TD514-L and hardly features anywhere now ..even on the Leigh site. However, it seems to use the same fingers as the later jigs and so I am guessing that the difference is in the way that the fingers are held and adjusted. On my jig, the tightness of the dovetail is controlled by paper shims...a bit fiddly compared with later jigs.

Assuming that the above is correct, would the eccentric bushes allow me to adjust the tightness of the joints without fiddling with paper shims?

I would have thought so, best give Leigh themselves an e-mail to be sure.

J

I found Handytools really helpful for guide bushes etc and general Leigh info.

+1 for Wealden

In the end I sold mine recently as I generally needed to to thinner pins than are possible without said shimming which I found too much of a faff. Good for normal stuff though.

I am currently making some cherry drawers and am trying the bandsaw jigs from this month's F & C which I thoroughly recommend.

Trying to get some sort of response out of Handytools. Contact form not answered. Phone goes to message. Thing is I really need some advice re the eccentric bushes...which is proving difficult. Ditto the max length router bit etc.

Hi Roger,

RogerS":396ufnc1 said:
Spoke to HandyTools and the cutters I need have been discontinued by Leigh. Pup...bought..... :evil:

Give Wealden a call, their customer services are very knowledgeable.

Thanks,
Neil

can somebody like wealdon not custom make you some? could be cheaper than a new jig?

Tipman and Trend will do custom bits and so does the company Jas uses over on the other side. Doug at cutting solutions probably does as well.

J

Latest posts

Back