Any Philosophers (sp) out there??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlimShavings

Established Member
Reaction score
Was listening to our local public radio station as usual on sundays. Just before Garrison Keeler is a show called "Sound and Spirit". Kind of a philosophical show that trys to explain spirituality of different kinds with music and musings. Todays subject was food and the divine. What caught my attention today was the fact that in the biblical explanation we go to a land of milk & honey. What was interesting is Milk and Honey are according to the moderator lady "foods of life" since nothing is killed. So that got me wondering about what other foods are "foods of life" Seems fruit might be but how about vegtables.
AS a side note when we do die and go over . Its suppose to be beyond our wildest dreams. What bothers me is what about people like me that like the old ways of doing things. Hand planes,BArn rasing, Home Canning,Garden and settin on the front porch. Guess us goin backwards types will be left out :D

Hi Dave

You might be interested in knowing about the 'Jain' religion which is rather popular in the Indian sub-continent. Jains won't eat certain kinds of vegetables because of the risk that bugs might be killed when they are harvested. Devout Jains even wear gauze masks, just in case an insect might fly into their mouths and be killed. It all sounds a bit peculiar to me, but I'd rather experience that sort of pacifist philophy than one that countenances war.

Gill

<Mod hat> Can I just drop a reminder in here about stepping carefully when it comes to religion, folks? I know, I know, but a stitch in time and all that. As long as everyone's aware and takes care (preferrably not to go there at all, in all honesty) we'll be happier, that's all. If we start getting unhappy the thread makes like a Dodo and disappears. Ta muchly. :) </Mod hat>

Cheers, Alf

I quite appreciate that Alf and you'll be pleased to hear that I'm not going to expound any further on this subject.

Gill

I remember a story about Heaven and Hell.
Two guys die and find themselves in Another Place, both in a room with walls lined with copies of the Reader's Digest.

The first is delighted to find he has gone to Heaven,
the second horrified to find himself in Hell.

S

SlimShavings":acre5iil said:
What was interesting is Milk and Honey are according to the moderator lady "foods of life" since nothing is killed.

Hmm, not sure if its possible to harvest honey without killing a bee to be honest. Anyway, if you are seriously interested, I can recommend either (or both) of these books, which go into quite some detail on the detail above.

Sweetness and Light (Hattie Ellis) - can be found on Amazon.

1400054052.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

And "The Hive" by Bee Wilson

0719564093.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Neither book is for beekeepers particularly, more a much more general audience with an interest in food, and the origin of food - although they both cover mostly honey related topics..... food of the gods, medicinal benefits, use by the ancient Greeks, by the Eygptians etc. For mummifying, etc.

I've read both this week, so reckon it should answer your questions!

Adam

My fault ALf :oops:
I should have mentioned I was more interested in the thing from the food side than the religious side. I had this thought that mybe I should be eating more of the living foods than the dead ones #-o :lol:

Back