Any opinions on Record square mortise chisels?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graduate_owner

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I recently took advantage of Rutland's special offer, and bought a mortising machine for £175 including carriage. Now I am looking for some decent chisels. Axminster sell Japanese ones for around £50, but I have seen Record ones for around £20. I don't want to buy rubbish and I know spending a fiver on one would be a waste of money. So I was wondering if anyone has any experience of the Record ones, or should I go for the Axminster ones?

K

You can't get much better than the Harima NH Chisels (the same ones Axminster stock), but they are pricey and probably not worth the spend on a low quality machine: https://www.scosarg.com/tooling/mortiser-tools/chisels-bits

You're probably best getting a cheap set of a 6mm, 10mm, and 12mm or 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" Japanese pattern chisels or keeping a keen eye on eBay listings as good quality Clico, Ridgway and Harima chisels go for pence quite often as they're badly listed.

Just be careful you get the right shank size, the better quality chisels often have a bigger shank to fit professional machines.

Workshop Heaven do narex mortise chisels which many find a good blend of quality and value for money

Thanks guys.
I had an email from Rutland this morning advertising 4 chisels for £30. Has anyone tried these? Could be too cheap?
I think I will start another thread asking about these.

K

Latest posts

Back