Any opinions on CEMA universals?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rattie

Established Member
Reaction score
One of my local powertool shops has a CEMA Magnum 266 universal machine, which looks competent, and in much the same sort of class as the Record Maxi 26. The price is very good, at about 1800 quid. D & M also carry it.

However I can find no real discussion of this machine in the web, has anyone any experience of this or other machines from CEMA?

Cheers

Martyn

Martyn,

I am surprised that this question has not prompted more response. It is something that comes up regularly (combination machines in general not Cema in particular) and provokes a good deal of debate. You might find something in the archives by doing a search on combination machines and if not take a look over in uk_woodworking (cough!). I know because I asked a similar question there about a year ago.

Most opinion seems to be in favour of separate machines. This seems to be based on:

A combination machine actually requires quite a bit of space because you have to be able to get all around it to use all the functions and it is not very transportable.

Separates allow you to pick and choose how much to spend on each piece of kit based on what you are going to use it for.

I took a good look at the Maxi last year at the Stoneligh show but ended up getting separates for the reasons outlined above and got Scheppach equipment which, by all recommendations is better than the Maxi. Don't have a spindle moulder but then I can do most of what I need with a router.

No doubt Alf will be along in a minute to give you her opinion of the Maxi :wink: and if you do choose to go down the separates route the return here for the table saw v. bandsaw debate <ducks>.

Sorry if this doesn't answer your question but hope it helps.

Andrew

if you do choose to go down the separates route the return here for the table saw v. bandsaw debate <ducks>.

y debate it? just have both 8)

steve

andrewm":u062un5s said:
No doubt Alf will be along in a minute to give you her opinion of the Maxi :wink:
Nah, it only depresses me. :( I've finally got round to finding a use for it though :wink: :

useforthemaxi.jpg

Cheers, Alf

That's not a gloat, now this is a...

Nope, s'all right, I don't have a group shot - can't fit 'em all in. :wink: Anyway, that lot go back next week. :( How many planes? I've honestly lost count. :oops: It's not all my fault; too often the tool I want is in a job lot that includes extras of stuff I don't want, but what can you do? :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Andrew,

Thanks for the input. I appreciate the benefits of individual machines, and may well do the same as you. We are currently at the stage of speccing the workshop, oh and removing a tree stump with a chainsaw!

Certainly nearer the fitting time we're going to need to try some of these machines to work out which compromise to take. Maybe the Stoneleigh show is the one for us to go to. The Axminster one is just a little to far away.

Cheers

Martyn

Latest posts

Back