Any one know anything about insects

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srs

Established Member
Reaction score
Over the last day or so I have noticed a couple of insects around the house and I'm trying to workout what they are just to put the better half mind at rest (or maybe because I hate insects as I'm a big girls blouse :oops: ) any way heres a couple of (bad) photos any idea

buga.jpg

bugb.jpg

Cheers
Simon

Have you got any bigger/ better phots? Looks like some form of hunting wasp - broadly good things but its difficult to tell without a close up or scale!

Cheers

Tim

Bsc (Hons) Biological Sciences (albeit I paid little attention and it was over 12 years ago!)

Its only about 3/4" long and it has wings, The bit that worried me is it survived a direct blow from the latest screwfix catalogue that I hit it with.

Simon

srs":3jsgrnt7 said:
Its only about 3/4" long and it has wings, The bit that worried me is it survived a direct blow from the latest screwfix catalogue that I hit it with.

Simon

Be careful Simon, down here in the SW we have an MP that wants this made a criminal act. Yes serious.

down here in the SW we have an MP that wants this made a criminal act

What useing a screwfix catalogue as a weapon?....... Damn you Whithall!!!

simon you should have used the axminster catalogue its a better form of weapon,

frank

devonwoody":2wvu2954 said:
srs":2wvu2954 said:
Simon
Be careful Simon, down here in the SW we have an MP that wants this made a criminal act. Yes serious.
Is that to protect his family members? Or just the rest of his political party? :roll:

I could reply to that Scrit, but I know the moderators are champing at the bit and wanting to get their swatter out :) :) :) :) :wink: :)

Hi Scrit - It puzzled me for a long time that using a Screwfix (Or even an Axminster) catalogue doesn't kill these things, then someone explained to me that actually, because of the air pressure build up in front of the 'weapon' the insect gets blown out of the path of the destructor book, catalogue, etc.

I then went on to design my own which basically comprised a lump of wood with holes in it :wink: a better version is the plastic swatter which you will note is full of holes :)

I still reckon the best weapon is the long since "deceased" Esso flit gun. Anyone else remember those?

Scrit

Yep! Vintage high-tech fly swat technology at it's best

Scrit

I've seen those for sale over here within the last year or so in the agricultural co-ops. I assume they are still used by some people for localised spraying on vines. I can't see them being much use against our local wood-boring enemy, the capricorn beetle, which is everywhere and I think is from the same family as deathwatch beetle. You can actually hear them eating through oak beams, yes honestly, and they'll eat through anything. When we renovated this place I found some beams which had been plastered over, the 6mm flight holes went into the heartwood of the beams then came back out again through an inch of plaster and the wall paper, I hope it bunged the little ******** up good and proper.

They are actually one of my biggest concerns when I finally get around to converting the cafe into a workshop, you may well read about me in the Darwin awards having drowned in insecticide.

Simon

Latest posts

Back