Any music types on here?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I played harmonica too. I had to buy a harmonica with every key, ( about 7 in all) I could never master changing key on my chromatic. :roll:

I still have then all in my loft somewhere.

novocaine":nguf8vzy said:
guitar, ukulele and harmonica.

have an 1970's eko acoustic

I have a 60s(I think) Eko Rio Bravo iacoustic. It's been through hell and back. Bridge split, mada a new one. Someone walked on it an snapped the headstock off, PVA glue to the rescue. I did a rather bad repair to a hole the size of a 50p in one side, replaced the nut, refretted it. Changed the machine heads. I guess I must like it... A professional musican friend offered me his Ovation cheap when he bought a new Taylor. I didn't like it as much as my old Eko, although I loved the Taylor...

Choral singer (tenor) and I play the flute a bit. I have a modern Boehm and a nice boxwood baroque flute. One of these days perhaps I'll stick some wood on the lathe and attempt to make one. Just before Xmas, I noted that Lidl had a good deal on Yamaha keyboards, so snapped one up. Never having touched a keyboard before, it's quite a challenge, but its main purpose is for working through choral scores to check notes.

I wonder if woodwork and music might not be rather complimentary activities.... Both require dexterous hands, creativity and acquired muscle memory attained by a great deal of practice and repetition.

Sawyer":134gw0iw said:

I wonder if woodwork and music might not be rather complimentary activities.... Both require dexterous hands, creativity and acquired muscle memory attained by a great deal of practice and repetition.
Yes that's what occurred to me. Between giving up on music and starting again (nearly 50 years later) I became a woodworker and it seemed to me that they both were a "craft" with a similar learning curve. Basically anybody can do either to a reasonable standard if they follow the right steps. No innate ability required - it's all about learning a craft- which entails a vast amount of repetition (and a few other things).
A key thing is not to try too hard - if you spend too long on things you can't satisfactorily finish you get discouraged. So yes to pushing the envelope but also spend a lot of time in your comfort zone.

I have spent years learning to play the guitar to merely a moderate standard I have sympathy for some of the comments on here.

I do have a question though - I've got a nice US Telecaster and an even nicer Larrivée acoustic and in my new house I have a music room in the basement (sounds flasher than it is) which SEEMS to be dry. I have used a dehumidifier occasionally and have left cardboard and felt in various corners with to try and pick up signs of damp however I am not brave enough to leave my acoustic guitar down there as I've heard they are very sensitive to moisture. Am I being oversensitive?

John Brown":2zi6jqo6 said:
novocaine":2zi6jqo6 said:

I have a 60s(I think) Eko Rio Bravo iacoustic. It's been through hell and back. Bridge split, mada a new one. Someone walked on it an snapped the headstock off, PVA glue to the rescue. I did a rather bad repair to a hole the size of a 50p in one side, replaced the nut, refretted it. Changed the machine heads. I guess I must like it... A professional musican friend offered me his Ovation cheap when he bought a new Taylor. I didn't like it as much as my old Eko, although I loved the Taylor...

Mines an Eko Ranger, been treated pretty much same as yours by the sounds of it, still got a 50p dent in the side of it, lost it's scratch plate (it did, I know where it is) had a new nut after that snapped, pulled a peg or 2 out and a fret lifted after a "friend" borrowed it and the corner of the bridge is gone. still going strong, really high action so most people struggle to play it, it's strung with electric strings at the moment too because it's all I had in the box of spares last time, so need to change that soon. got the original 70's orange case for it too, it looks so lovely, lol.

apparantly it's the most succesful European guitar ever, yet no one has ever heard of it most of the time. :)

backinthesaddle":2wh8tlbj said:
I have spent years learning to play the guitar to merely a moderate standard I have sympathy for some of the comments on here.

I do have a question though - I've got a nice US Telecaster and an even nicer Larrivée acoustic and in my new house I have a music room in the basement (sounds flasher than it is) which SEEMS to be dry. I have used a dehumidifier occasionally and have left cardboard and felt in various corners with to try and pick up signs of damp however I am not brave enough to leave my acoustic guitar down there as I've heard they are very sensitive to moisture. Am I being oversensitive?
Keeping it in a case will protect it well, unless it's really damp and draughty down there.

novocaine":1lpjtfg4 said:
John Brown":1lpjtfg4 said:
novocaine":1lpjtfg4 said:

Mines an Eko Ranger, been treated pretty much same as yours by the sounds of it, still got a 50p dent in the side of it, lost it's scratch plate (it did, I know where it is) had a new nut after that snapped, pulled a peg or 2 out and a fret lifted after a "friend" borrowed it and the corner of the bridge is gone. still going strong, really high action so most people struggle to play it, it's strung with electric strings at the moment too because it's all I had in the box of spares last time, so need to change that soon. got the original 70's orange case for it too, it looks so lovely, lol.

apparantly it's the most succesful European guitar ever, yet no one has ever heard of it most of the time. :)
The bridge pins seem to be a non-standard size. I wish I'd known that when I made the new bridge, as I would have made the holes to fit standard pins.

from memory (haven't pulled one out for a while) they are an odd imperial (because Italians liked to annoy the rest of Europe I assume) size, next time I change strings I'll have a look. amazingly all the one's that were "lost" got found again so they are still originals. I used the wrong words too, I didn't mean bridge, I meant saddle, and it doesn't effect the playing so it isn't getting changed any time soon. :) I've had it 20 odd years, it was a gift to my dad for doing some work for someone, he gave it to my mum who didn't really get on with it, so as a plucky little punk of a teen I used it, abused it and pretty much gave it a hard time. now it's cherished beast that rarely comes out as I don't have the time to play it. :)

backinthesaddle":yobe8z1i said:

A little humid, in UK terms, is not a major problem. The top and back will swell a little, if solid wood, but both are slightly domed to allow for this. The action will rise a bit, though.

Proper damp = mould and maybe glue failure.

Low humidity is what kills guitars. Top and back try to shrink but the sides resist. Result: cracks.

Of course, laminates are largely immune to swelling or shrinking.

If you really want to destroy a guitar, leave it in a car on a hot day. Unless made with hide glue, all the joints will soften and some may give way.

Latest posts

Back