Any local CNC owner willing to help with a Project?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VDG

Reaction score
Hi all you wonderful people!

I'm currently busy building my own CNC machine but have had many snags along the way which means I sadly haven't had a chance to complete it.

I'm hoping one of the many amazing people on here would be keen to help me with an experimental project that requires engraving with a CNC machine. Of course I will provide the end mills as required.

The Project:

The concept is an aluminium plate with a diameter of 420mm maximum (actual project area maximum 380mm) plate which I would like to engrave a photo of my partner and her kids on.

Using the plate the idea is to place it on the substrate then heat it up to burn the negative image onto a piece of wood. Due to the intricacy of the image, making a template to use in a pyrography capacity makes it unachievable. Hence the conclusion of making a template to heat up therefore transferring the image to the substrate.

Conclusion:

This is of course a prototype, which I have never attempted but I'm sure others have so any and all help would of course be greatly appreciated.
This would ideally be a Christmas gift for my "manager" (wink wink lol) as it would have great sentimental value for her.

The skills I would need to gain (& understand) is converting an image into vectors and then converting them to Gcode (or whichever platform required)

Appreciation:

From the above, I can mainly just thank everyone, but in turn will post a build process (including royalties/mentions for everyone involved.
I also will want to include a "snag" list so anyone who would like to build this project can & will have some tips overall.

All in all, I believe this project will be fun for anyone attempting it!

Thank you all in advance!

Best Regards,
Andy

I can’t help personally but just wondered if you considered burning the image directly to the wood with a laser. It would probably result in a much higher quality/resolution image.

As above, laser it. £500 or so would get you a capable machine, and a decent rotary engraving spindle would cost you over £100 before you've even strapped a motor to it.

I do CNC for work. I used to do mostly engraving (rotary) but now I mainly just mill the parts and silk screen print them.

If you are set on making the branding iron, I would suggest brass. It's still a fairly soft non ferrous, but it's melting point is that much higher than alluminium that you are less likely go melt the job by mistake.

Definite +1 for laser engraving for this job. I suspect it would also be fairly tricky to heat a ~40cm diameter metal plate both hot enough and evenly enough to get a satisfactory quality image on the wood.

Back