any jeep nuts in the building?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
This is definitely a long shot, but if you dont ask you dont get. :lol:

I have a winter project, making many repairs to a mahindra willys jeep.
Its old, reputed to be 1959. I have NOTHING in the way of manuals, parts lists etc.

I know there were a lot of these around the UK 20 years ago, anybody have any links to help?

If I understand correctly the Mahindra is a licensed build from the original Willy's?

If that's the case you go go to any of the jeep forums (there's quite a few) if you have questions.
I used to have a 1978 CJ7, the technology on these Jeeps is as simple as it gets....

If you know what you're doing you can strip one down in under 60 seconds!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy-s5g_r18c

Cheers!

Ferenc

Dallas Autos might be worth an email, I quite often visit there for parts as not that far away.
Is it a CJ 3 type, what type of engine?
I know a few Jeep types locally so will ask.

Merlin

It seems to be a bitsa. I'm still trying to identify the engine but no luck so far.
The mahindra forums appear to have all closed due to lack of interest I suppose.
America has no concept of mahindra before year 2000, and even then only 1 model was sold there due to failing all the crash tests. Apparently they are all now illegal to drive on the roads.
The engine has a casting "M&M" which suggests a mahindra bros unit. Cant find an engine number yet. I have no reason to trust the number in the log book.
The tail gate and radiator cover are stamped willys. the steering column has a mahindra badge in the centre as a horn button.
The chassis is stamped CJ3B. No real problems with the running gear.
But its a leftie. India drives same as the UK, so its not for home consumption.
I've found reference to a Greek company building some under licence, but no actual company name or confirmation so far.
It would be ironic if this was made in Greece, shipped at some time to India, and then came back to Cyprus, wouldnt it?

Theres a 1001 jobs to be done, and thats only to make it roadworthy. :roll:

Strangely, I've just been sent that link from a completely different enquiry.
Thanks, I was not aware of that one.
Its now looking as though this is a complete 1959 machine.

Good luck with the rebuild - its amazing how many parts you end up with for such a simple machine!

Rebuild is a strong word :shock: :lol:
I'm just trying to overcome hat looks like the most incompetent "repairs" in the history of incompetence.
To name just one, its been fitted with a brake servo. Which for want of adjustment meant that the rear brake was automatically applied whenever the engine was running. Causing a rear axle oil seal to overheat and throw oil all over the place on its very first trip from the docks to home..

Back