any info would be grateful unknown bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Platt

Established Member
Reaction score
Heavy bench top bandsaw seemed like a good idea to buy it and i`m not disappointed so far. motor which doesn`t appear to be original has 3 speed pulley. wheel covers are cast not pressed. 12" throat 5 1/2" clear above table.
Any ideas anyone
thanks in advance
all the best
rob

Attachments

• jpwebbuilding 045.JPG
    jpwebbuilding 045.JPG
    201.4 KB · Views: 213
  • jpwebbuilding 046.JPG
    jpwebbuilding 046.JPG
    184.4 KB · Views: 213
why dont you change the heading for this thread so that it has something to do with bandsaw? may get more interest?

cant help with ID but it looks like a nice saw

adidat

Some more clues possibly. the "M" or "W" is moveable inside the casting and the original paint colour is similar to startrite green if that`s any help in identifying.
all the best
rob

SammyQ":2atlt1lu said:
Unlikely, unfortunately. Very few British manufacturers there as yet. And it doesn't look like anything American or Canadian. But still go have a look.

I'd date this from the 30's to the 60's. Cast doors indicate early 60's at the latest to me. Benchtop saws are extremely unusual before 1930, and this one doesn't look that primitive. Do the doors come off, or pivot? Hinged doors are 30's or later, but removable doors are probably no later than the 40's. If the silver smile in the top pic is the top wheel, it looks like aluminum, as are the bosses on the doors. That would put it after WW II (lots of aluminum industry sitting around with nothing to do, so they got into new areas). Best guess for me is 1950, +/- 3 years.

Kirk

It could be a "Modern" machine they used to be from Leicester, I have one of their bandsaws although it looks nowt like yours.

9fingers":2u5ui3ab said:
I recognise the the W logo but just cannot remember the maker. Something suggests that is was a small firm in Scotland but that is as far as my memory will go at the moment.
I don't think Willow is right as their logo is the full name eg http://www.getwoodworking.com/forums/po ... p?th=32203

Bob

Aye, that looks like the machine I remember, but am fairly sure that one had the "W" logo, not the full word. It belonged to an old friend who is dead now, so can't follow it up.

Thanks thus far guys.
some extra bits;
top door pivots about adjustable guide bar and lifts off top of it to remove.
bottom door has two fixing points one on left a knob and t`other on right a wing nut which could have been a knob as well at some time.
motor is from Pitlochrey.
the covers are additions that look like they`ve been put on to comply with regs. of some description whether it was school or commercial i`m not certain and the reason for a repaint.
i`m working away for a couple of days so will be back on again on monday late all being well or tuesday if the traffic and i become an item.
thanks again its providing a lot more fun than i imagined and educational as well. just like CIS merseyside. will do more pics next week when i`ve stripped some of the bits off it.
all the best
rob
rob

Back