Any info on this breast drill?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carpenteire2009

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
This old breast drill belonged to my great grandfather. I can't find any maker's mark or details of any kind as yet but it needs a good clean down- which might reveal something. It's in pretty good nick apart from some surface rust. Anyone here have something similar or can identify a possible maker?

Attachments

• DSCF4849.JPG
    DSCF4849.JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 1,330
  • DSCF4855.JPG
    DSCF4855.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 1,331
  • DSCF4856.JPG
    DSCF4856.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 1,331
I have one like that, no rust but paint wise much the same. If you shift the "turning" handle it changes the speed.Not 100% sure but I have an inkling it was made by Metabo.Great little drill I still use it now and again.
mack

The more we see of drills on here, the more I am led to think that for most of the last century the same handful of designs were relentlessly copied/ rebranded by a handful of manufacturers and retailers, with tiny little variations between them.
I guess what matters most is how well it works!

All of the enclosed two speed drills I've seen are from German makers Metabo, Flott and Schroeder - who still make them.(Maybe not for long though)
Matt

Shrubby":22kh1ens said:
All of the enclosed two speed drills I've seen are from German makers Metabo, Flott and Schroeder - who still make them.(Maybe not for long though)
Matt
Off the top of my head, Millers Falls and Stanley both made them as well. But my first thought in this case was Metabo too.

AndyT":22kh1ens said:
The more we see of drills on here, the more I am led to think that for most of the last century the same handful of designs were relentlessly copied/ rebranded by a handful of manufacturers and retailers, with tiny little variations between them.
Yeah, seems so. Doesn't help us poor coll-, er, accumulators when it comes to identification.

Back