Any ideas what this is?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tudormaker

Established Member
Reaction score
I apoligise if this is in the wrong forum.
I was given this bit of 4X4 and about the length of a pallet, I say about as I don't want to go out into the garage where I store some of my wood at this time of night.
Whatisthiswood.jpg

It has got a very strong smell and is very heavy, it has also got what seems to be marks of a metal strap on the ends.

Terry

Difficult to tell without seeing a picture. From your description though it could well be an old post made of pitch pine. What sort of smell is it?

Pete

This could be one of the "Meranti" (shorea?), family of woods from the far east. There are a number of similar species commonly used for pallets. They are reddish in colour with varying density from light to extremely heavy.

I got about 20 pallet covers from a printer a few years ago that were made from this timber. It planes up well but has some wild grain patches.

Regards,

mikec

It could be Ekki (Lophira alata), a African hardwood. I picked some up from some sea defense work I have been working on.
Its really heavy and has quite a strong smell.

Back