Any Idea What Wood This Is

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John15

Established Member
Reaction score
what wood 003.JPG
what wood 002.JPG
what wood 001.JPG

I'm dismantling a gate leg table and saving the wood for future use but am puzzled as to what the wood is. The piece in the pics is a cleat from the underside of one of the flaps. The top is of the same species. I was expecting a type of ''Mahogany''. Any suggestions? Please don't make me look silly and say it's a type of pine!

John

Attachments

• what wood 001.JPG
    what wood 001.JPG
    243 KB · Views: 150
  • what wood 002.JPG
    what wood 002.JPG
    289.8 KB · Views: 108
  • what wood 003.JPG
    what wood 003.JPG
    242.4 KB · Views: 141
Thanks Tony. Have just looked up Meranti on The Wood Database and looks like you are correct. It says it is easy to work except for occasional reverse grain and is used for furniture making so I'm sure I'll be able to put the three top slabs to good use

John

John

Definitely looks like meranti to me also.
I believe sometimes nicknamed Filipino mahogany.
It wouldn't be so easy to plane of honkin shavings like that with too many common dark hardwood species.

Tom

John15":101hcnf3 said:
...and is used for furniture making so I'm sure I'll be able to put the three top slabs to good use
It was already in use in a piece of furniture John, that is a decent clue to its usefulness right there :)

Don't be at all intimidated by the reversing grain if it has any, proper use of the cap iron and you should be able to conquer almost all or all of it. And there's no shame at all if you do need to scrape and/or sand to deal with the last of it.

Back